Sleep tracker and sleepwalking

Hello,

I am a sleepwalker and have been trying to see if any of those sleep tracking devices on the market can detect my sleepwalking.
The short answer is no, unfortunately.

I put the long answer is a blog describing how I monitor my sleepwalking and how I tested those devices. Here: http://somnambuler.blogspot.com/2015/06/can-sleep-tracking-devices-identify.html
If you have a moment please take a look at it and I would love to hear your feedback/ideas. As so far I have to use video to track my sleepwalking and this is time consuming!!

Thanks,
Luke Sleepwalker

Why not just the Basis/UP/Flex step counts to detect sleep walking? Also, if the Beddit has trouble detecting when you’re away from your bed, it may not be set up properly.

1 Like

Also posted on your BLOG:

You may describe somewhere in the posts, but is there some reason you are not using the Zeo hardware and programs to identify sleep. I have found it helpful in identifying REM, since my issue is REM sleep Behavior Disorder (RBD). Mostly my behavior is thrashing out and talking or yelling when in REM, but occasionally involves out-of-bed mobility.

What surveillance video monitoring equipment are you using - I need to SEE what is going on. Currently I am audio recording my sleep and viewing it with Audacity.

What software do you use to quickly scan through hours of sleep?

Hi Robert,

I haven’t used Zeo and I am not sure I can still get one since the company making them went down a few years ago. But I am considering using axbo, although it is probably not as useful since they use a wristband instead of a headband for Zeo.

As for video monitoring I am using a regular home surveillance camera system since it continuously records (not just when there is movement) and I can easily get access to all the video files. I added a strong IR light next to the camera as the built-in IR light was too weak to really illuminate the bed area.
As for reading the video files I use the built-in software that came with the surveillance system as it offers a 16x fast forward option, making that I need only 20-30 minutes to go through a full night. Most of the video is about me not moving so it is pretty quick to go through that. The longer part is when I do sleepwalk as I record a bench of parameters about the event.

Thanks for pointing out the Zeo device and I hope you get to elucidate your RBD soon.

I am interested in hearing more.

Hi Mike,

I’m very interested in your app. Is it still in testing? If yes, are you still looking for test subjects? Alternatively, is it available to the public?

Thanks,
Emily

I sleepwalked and here’s my take on sleepwalking. I sleepwalked when I was super tired (too much running etc) or having lack of sleep. (I use past tense because I don’t want to sleepwalk)

We can still be quite conscious when we sleepwalk. Meaning we can not just perform tasks by drinking water. We may even be able to find a key and unlock doors etc.
Eg: One incident was my sister came home late one day and she didn’t have a key. I was sleeping and the next day, I asked her how she came into the house. She told me I open the door for her in which I have no recollection.

After much consideration, I realised one type of sleepwalking is: We are actually conscious when we are sleepwalking. Our brain chose to FORGET what we did when we go back to sleep. In other words, you are NOT ACTUALLY SLEEPWALKING. YOUR BRAIN JUST FORGOT ABOUT THE ACTIVITY.

I used to be a heavy thinker/best in Math in school/logic thinking etc.

Is they’re asleep walking app that’s when it’s detected that you are sleepwalking will tell you to go back to bed?

Most health bands that track sleep will detect walking around.