Stepped Meditation

What I Plan on Doing

Meditate every hour with increasing durations for two weeks.

Background

During my last self-study on blocking the internet at home, one thing I was hoping to do during my supposedly newly freed up time was to meditate. It’s been a struggle for me to do this consistently. A couple months ago, I was at a breathwork session meetup and the person running it cited a study where the participants meditated for 12 minutes in the morning and again in the evening for 8 weeks. I can’t find the study and don’t remember the specific positive benefits, but it seemed like a reasonable, if arbitrary, goal to shoot for, similar to 10k steps.

However, I had trouble implementing it. I could be consistent for a few days in the morning, but could never meditate at night. Then, increasingly, the 12 minutes seemed to be too much and I dropped it. Something that I noticed with the banning-the-internet-at-home self-study is that if I implement something extreme, like not consuming any digital media, I’ll see benefits quickly, but after a few days, some part of my brain will rebel and I’ll regress hard.

Adopting a new habit gradually is considered to be best practice, but my impatience often gets the best of me. However, I was doing well with one behavior. With the goal of getting outside as early as possible, I started doing morning walks. I had been doing 30 minute walks, but again, at it stopped after I went on a trip (How many gravestones in the habit graveyard are inscribed with “died on holiday”?), and felt too daunting to start up again. So, I did the gradual method: one minute the first day, two minutes the day after. I’m up to 15 minutes and it hasn’t been difficult to do.

I wanted to apply the same principle to meditation. I wondered (this could be my impatience again), instead of acclimating myself to a behavior over the course of weeks, could I do it over the course of a day? I tried out this “step” method (outlined below) where I started off with short meditations that increasingly got longer throughout the day. By that night, I had meditated for over 1 hour and 45 minutes. THAT WAS CRAZY! It seemed remarkable considering that I couldn’t get myself to do a 12 minute meditation in the morning. Hearing about people who meditate an hour a day seemed extreme, but somehow I was able to do it fairly easily using this method. And it wasn’t just the duration that seemed significant. I felt much, much, much better. As I update this log, I’ll get into specifically what aspects of my mental function seemed to be improved.

I tried this method for the rest of the week, but couldn’t keep it up because of an increasing sleep debt from a disastrous backyard camping experiment.

The Method

The plan is to meditate every hour from 7 am until 9 pm in increasing duration. So, 1 minute at 7 am, 2 minutes at 8 am and so on until 15 minutes at 9 pm. Invariably, I’m going to miss hours. In those cases, I just do whatever the next step up is. If I meditate for 1 minute at 7 am and miss 8 am, then I’ll do 2 minutes at 9 am. I don’t make up for lost hours. Also, it doesn’t need to be on the hour, just anytime during that hour block.

Testing Period

Monday, July 22nd through Sunday, August 4th. So, I’m three days into this. On the end date, I will gather some data and reflect on the project. Do I want to continue it? Should I adjust the method? Make it less extreme? Maybe a meditation every two hours? Or do I consider this to be a good way to acclimate me to regular meditation, so that I can adopt a more regular model of 12 minutes in the morning and night.

Ideas I am testing

Is this a dumb thing to do? I’m drawn to projects that are a little bit extreme and ridiculous. I generally expect them to crash and burn, but want to know where it breaks down. Even after “failed” projects, I tend to approach and think about things differently because of what I learned.

Can the tiny habits method be accelerated by doing it multiple times per day? Starting the day with a quick and easy meditation seems to work really well.

I’m curious to see if this “step” method could be used for other behaviors I would want to adopt. Could it make me finally clean my garage? Or does meditation work especially well because it counterbalances the wear the brain endures during the day. In other words, as the day goes on and those mental resources I need to stay on task and be intentional are depleted, does the increased meditation duration help create a buffer?

What I’ll Measure

I will use the Muse (courtesy of Ernesto Ramirez) to look at the quality of the meditations. However, because I have to spend a minute or so to calibrate, I will only use the headband for sessions that are 5 minutes or greater. This will make the first sessions of the day as frictionless as possble. After a session, the Muse app displays the percentage of time that I spent in the “calm” state. But before I look at that number, I’m going to make a prediction based on my subjective experience, and see how well it lines up.

I will also take advantage of the fact that the Muse can also track non-headband sessions. This well help to keep all of that data in one place. I will look at total minutes per day and the hours of the day that I’m most likely to fail to meditate.

I’ll see how this affects certain metrics that I track every day most days when I can such as mood, sustained attention, fasting blood glucose, blood pressure, weight.

I may look at other resources to see if anything jumps out at me such as RescueTime data, podcast listening duration, Foci data, etc.

Anything else I should pay attention to? Feel free to ask questions in the thread about this self-study.

2 Likes

I suspect doing long meditations and doing frequent meditations each have their own benefits…

The risk with deciding that a session is going to be at least e.g. 12 minutes is that you end up skipping the session, whereas if you only need to do 1 minute (with the option to extend…), there is really no excuse :slight_smile:

Regarding the Muse: How well do the scores correlate with your subjective feeling of being focused? And what metrics can you export from the Calm app export?

I meant to update this project log more frequently, but I got hung up on the idea that I needed to write a conclusive “reflections” post on my earlier self-study on not using the internet at my house.

The two-week observation period of this self-study ended yesterday. I’m going to post some observations I made, adjustments I had to make to my process, and some data analysis as I get to it.

First, I’ll address @ejain’s questions. On the different benefits of long vs. frequent meditations. This is probably right. Part of the idea of this project was seeing if there was a way to ease myself into doing longer meditations. I am curious to see how comfortable I would be at doing a 30 minute meditation. I may test that in the upcoming week.

On the question of whether it is better to have a set time or an easy-to-reach minimum: I’ve thought up a lot of variations of this project that I can try. One thing that I would like to figure out is how much meditation is necessary to keep the mental and emotional benefits that I’m getting.

On how my subjective experience correspond to the Muse: I’m using predictions as a way to test this. After the meditation ends, but before I look at any scores, I jot down my guess of what the results will be. The Muse has three metrics: calm percentage, birds, and muse points. Calm percentage is the amount of time I spend in their defined “calm” state (based on the EEG sensor). “Birds” reflect consecutive time spent in this “calm” state. So, if I am in the calm state for, say, ten seconds, I will hear a bird (I can’t remember how many seconds it is exactly). The third is Muse points, and I don’t actually know what the formula is. I think it’s a combination of seconds spent meditating, plus seconds in the calm state, minus seconds in the “active” state.

What I found is that I was ok with guessing the birds and the muse points, but very good at guessing the percentage in the calm state. This suggests that I’m able to correlate my experience somewhat with what the muse was measuring. I think I got better over time with each prediction being somewhat like a calibration. This is something that I’m going to look at in the data.

However, I’m not sure how easy it will be to get my data out. There doesn’t seem to be an export option in the app. I’m hoping that the Muse website will have the option, but I haven’t checked yet.

1 Like

I’ve begun digging into the data to see what I can draw from this project.

This chart shows the total amount of time meditated per day and how far I got with my stepped system. The maximum of both y-axes are set to the theoretical maximum I would’ve hit if I had meditated every hour from 7 am to 9 pm. You can see that even on my best days, I still missed three hours.

There is no data export from the Muse app, so I had to enter the data by hand into Google Sheets.

There are a few oddities. July 23rd and July 24th both reached the 10th minute step, but have very different total meditation minutes. This is because on the 24th I did a group meditation at my co-working space that lasted 17 minutes that didn’t really count towards the steps.

Similarly, the 29th and 30th have similar meditation minutes but the highest step differs. This is because on the morning of the 29th, I woke up in the middle of the night from a stress dream and meditated for 10 minutes to help calm myself down. It may have helped, but it still took just over an hour after the meditation to fall back asleep.

There is a noticeable trend of the meditation decreasing over time. You can see that on the 31st, there was an attempt to get back on track after two weak days. But then on the 2nd, I totally regressed.

Looking at the data this way, the results are a bit underwhelming. It looks like I fell far short of my intention of meditating every hour in increasing duration for two weeks. However, the subjective experience was much, much different.

First, it’s important to remember that I went from 0 minutes of meditation per day to an average of 1 hr per day during the first week (even the weaker second week had an average of 40 minutes per day). The mental space it put me in was significantly different than my normal mode.

I felt imperturbable. I was able to keep to all of my rules, and even barely ate for the first couple of days, because it was easy to ignore the hunger pangs. It revealed the sort of cosmic background radiation of anxiety that hangs around my consciousness. It was very weird to not feel anxious, even though there was plenty for me to be anxious about during that week. To know and experience that state of mind, and recognize a reasonable path to get there will be of lasting value.

I believe that the frequent repetitions of the ritual of sitting down and beginning a meditation has lowered the barrier to engaging in the habit. This is important because it is the moments when meditation is most needed that it can be the hardest to do.

This project allowed me to develop certain mental tricks that, in addition to make it easier to meditate and clear my mind of thoughts, have proven useful during my daily life. I find that the easiest way to make a thought go away is to label it. The label isn’t important, but I try to use labels that suggest that the thought has very little to do with the current moment. Examples include “planning” thoughts, “anxious” thoughts, or “ruminating” thoughts. It’s become easier to dismiss unhelpful thoughts outside of meditation. If I’m feeling envious or regretful, labeling it as such reduces its prominence.

Next, I’ll look at whether the meditation had any effect on my mood scores and explore what it means that I spent most of the second week of the project sleep-deprived.

2 Likes

Great, but please don’t forget to eat :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Positive Intelligence Program, which I provide to clients, envelops the concept of meditating at multiple points within the day and makes use of an app. Notifications alert the user several times a day (assuming phone settings allow) to stop and meditate. The difference is that this program also brings clients through an onboarding process and the meditation offers opportunities to work on the very things that trouble us. The app also has a gym, which, offers three-, five-, and 12-minute gym sessions. MRI studies show positive changes in the brain with an optimal level of usage. As you suggest, meditation is most important to go to when we are least likely to naturally choose it. Both the onboarding and the app itself provide opportunity to develop the habit.

As for meditating throughout the day, if you can do it as you are, and it works for you, great. What we do is teach clients to envelop it into their daily life activities. I tend to think of it as activating a power of increased presence rather than viewing it as “not being in the moment.” I’ve certainly had very good results. I call it the President effect, whereby this work enables me to understand how figures in positions of extreme stress, lifestyle, and decision making could possibly maintain their workload and present with any degree of happiness.

1 Like

@JohnWick
More than 10 years ago I made and tested programs in the field of computer psychotechnologies.
The testing of the programs could not be completed. The measuring device required lengthy preparation and was inconvenient.
I didn’t collect enough statistics. Measurement results are likely lost.
Overall there was a positive effect of changes in brain activity.

Subjectively, in some modes, volitional efforts were required to interrupt the meditation session.
Sessions sometimes lasted continuously for up to 3 hours.
I had to additionally make a timer to automatically terminate the session.

The programs were desktop for Windows. A fairly large screen is required.
Now there are more convenient and accessible means of monitoring brain activity.
If you are interested, I will describe the programs in detail.