Study on 23andMe results and comprehension

Hello QS,

My name is Scott McGrath, I’m a graduate student at the University of Nebraska at Omaha in Biomedical Informatics, and I’m working on my thesis. I’m looking to recruit people who have purchased a test kit from 23andMe and gotten their results back.

To start things off, I’ll cut to the nitty grity, since there are some participation restrictions:
[list]
[]19 years or older
[
]Have completed the genetic screening test from 23andMe and have recieved the results
[]Reside in the United States of America
[
]English is your primary language, or you are fluent in English
[/list]

I would love to include people outside the US, but privacy laws and IRB restrictions on this study do limit it to people in the US, sorry.

Still with me? Here are the details:

I’m conducting a study about direct to consumer (DTC) genetic testing companies (like 23andMe) and how the results are interpreted and used by their customers. I am running a survey for people who have completed this genetic test and have received their results back. The survey will be anonymous, and no identifying information will be collected (no names, home addresses, IP addresses, or email). It will consist of 28 questions aiming to establish demographics and user experience with DTC results. In addition, I will ask you to review two genetic screening results, and answer a few questions about those results. It is estimated to take 10-15 minutes to complete the survey. If this is something you are interested in helping me with, please follow this link to the survey:

https://www.snapsurveys.com/wh/s.asp?k=137693254904

I will greatly appreciate your participation if you elect to do so. Also, if you know of others who might be interested in taking this survey, feel free to let me know, or share the link with them.

This project IRB # 507-13-EX was approved by the University of Nebraska Medical Center IRB on October 3rd 2013. Pertinent questions or concerns about the research, research participants’ rights, and/or research-related injuries to participants should be directed to the UNMC IRB irbora@unmc.edu
(402) 559-6463
http://www.unmc.edu/irb/.

Thanks for stopping in to check this out!