Track mood and energy level by photo

Hello, QS community

I want to have a tool which could grade energy level and mood by a photo. So, I could take my photo twice a day and track it.
I have enough experience to build an NN model on my own. However, I don’t have a proper dataset on this.

I would be glad to have some help, specifically:

1. If you have some information about this topic (articles, prototypes, applications)
  2. If you know where to find a relevant dataset
  3. If you are willing to help me to collect such data

There are quite a few facial expression databases; maybe you could even find a pre-trained model and use transfer learning to make the model work better for you. But I don’t know how feasible grading “energy levels” or detecting subtle moods is; manually entering your mood into an app like Daylio might be less tedious than having to take pictures of yourself smiling forcibly :slight_smile:

…unless you’re planning to set up a webcam that automatically logs your mood every time you leave the house, or step in front of a mirror…

The other approach to mood detection is voice analysis.

I made some research beforehand. All datasets I found are indeed facial expression datasets. To classify a facial expression is very specific task and not the thing I need.
I’ve was thinking of using speech data, but this looks harder than with photos.

I want to track more subtle things than facial expression. I want to know if the person is tired / having a bad mood. I believe that if you are not technically showing “sad” face (even if you are forcing a smile), it’s still possible to understand that you have bad mood by looking at person. But this is only a hypothesis.

It is an interesting idea, for some people it’s a easier to manually grade your state than to take a picture (or record a voice).

Interesting! Some things that came to mind that might at least generate ideas:

this project: http://selfiecity.net/

this app company for sures has exactly the data you would probably want, but no idea how sharable it is (but could be used for data collection): https://www.imoodjournal.com/#home

If you were interested in collecting your own dataset, I’d be interesting in chatting more about that if you think that would be useful to you. I’m an experimentalist in psychology/animal behavior, and work a lot with computer science folks!

-Kelly