Tracking Tools: Food vs Gut Data (Bloat, Stool, etc.)

Hello QSers,

My goal is analyze the content of my meals against how my stomach is feeling (bloat/pain). I have not found an app that does both. So my current plan is to export data from a couple different apps and analyze the data myself on access. I am using Cara to track Bloat, Pain, Mood and was planning on using MyFitnessPal for food, but the data extract only includes calories & micronutrient content. Can anyone recommend an app capable of exporting specific meal data (i.e. brown rice, chicken, broccoli)? Does anyone know if MFP API does this?

Cronometer’s “servings” export sounds like it’ll do what you want (here’s an example export). It’s accessible on the web version under Profile -> Account Information -> Open the gear menu -> Export data -> Export Servings.

You might already be familiar, but I found that looking up the FODMAP content of foods predicted “gut upset” pretty well for me. I don’t know of an app/service that tracks/reports that though.

Thank you for pointing out Cronometer! It is exactly what I am looking for. In thinking about it, the next step I would need is to build out a database that can classify foods eaten against FODMAP. That way I can compare type of FODMAP eaten to gut health that day. I have no experience with databases so this will be fun!

Hi Ryan,
Unfortunately I cannot answer your question, because I am not familiar with the apps you mentioned.
…Oh I see this topic is quite old, well, anyway…
How did your research go? Any interesting results?
I wanted to say that I find time of stool and time of food intake also important to include in my research, for it provides important information as well. Many apps dont allow you to collect data on time of stool and time of meal intake, so I note it down myself. (Pictures of my food will give me the exact time that the picture was taken and eaten not long after). Good luck and I am curious about your results!
Froukje

Froukje, just a quick note to let you know that Eventloggers.com (my app) can integrate your food photos using their timestamps (via Google Photos, along with one-tap recording of trips to the toilet (both number one and number two). You can also track other possibly relevant variables such as time and quantity of coffee/tea/water, etc. If you’re interested to try it out but need some help automating the photos, just let me know. FYI, the website is free.

Great tip! Thanks!