Using long-term Internet usage data collected by network connected Pi-hole to track personal behavior(s)

Your impulse to give DNS queries some significance is correct (IMO). They are one of the core information assets of a digital footprint/fingerprint.

In terms of mapping my visits to know what I was/am most interested in, do you have any suggestions on where I might start with a project like that. It sounds interesting, and like something I would enjoy participating in.

No, I don´t have any suggestions. Before I wrote my last post, I googled librarian´s schema just to make sure it is a word. I learned that there are what is called ontologies, which are used to train so called artificial intelligence. I don´t understand much of it, but I imagine coming up with an ontology in a coded form is quite a hard problem, because this ontology would have to be a representation of the world how it is conceptualized by our brains. So I was implying that mapping your queries is forbiddingly difficult.

1 Like

What I have trouble getting my mind around here is just this: the mapping of a “phenomenon of interest” to DNS queries. It’s sort of intriguing, because IP addresses seem to contain a lot of interesting structure, but at the lowest level they don’t represent your perspective or experience ery clearly. This may be a case of “starting with the data” rather than “starting with the question” which tends to lead to a research-oriented project rather than something that has a high chance of being personally relevant. As research, though, it could be interesting to look at a derivative measure, such as “consistency” in the pattern of DNS queries, to reflect novelty seeking. I’m not sure that any signal would show up there, but you could explore it.

1 Like

Thank you to everyone who has commented on or expressed interest in this little project. I have been encouraged by your feedback to continue onward, with further development.

If anyone is interested in the code/tools (applications) that I’m building for these analyses, you can find them here on GitHub. There are also instructions on how to export or download your Pi-hole data from another Linux PC.