Using Resting Heart Rate For Early Warning of Coronavirus Infection

Which thermometer do you use?

I reached the same conclusion regarding HRV & breathing, though some people think paced breathing is a mistake

My understanding is that Apple Health isn’t set up to be able to look at their users data, even if they got permission to do so. The Kinsa Health map is nice, and I’d be happy to contribute data if I had one of their devices, but do they let you opt out?

The Quantified Flu project that @gedankenstuecke mentioned earlier in this thread has been up and running for some weeks now, supported by him and @madprime; it’s working well and ready for signups. If you’re interested in collecting and potentially sharing resting heart rate data matched with symptom tracking, will you sign up?

quantifiedflu.org

I’d really like to grow this project, if there are any relevant networks or mailing lists you can share it on, please do. I wrote a post on the QS website with some introductory background that you can link to or copy:

LINK: Self Tracking for COVID-19

1 Like

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0916-2

1 Like

One thought on this would be to get people collecting data at least one week before they try the new COVID-19 vaccines to see if it can predict when they got the shot!

2 Likes

Interesting! That’s a very interesting effect to trace. (I hope we can do it soon.)

Scripps Institute (Eric Tolpol, MD)in California is running a resting heart rate study called Detect, relative to detecting COVID-19. You might check with them.

Hi @tomkintner , have you signed up for the Detect study? Would be interested in knowing your impressions.

I have signed up. There is an app that, once invoked, reports a resting heart rate to the study after you connect it to, e.g, Fitbit (if you have a Fitbit). I start it each morning to ave it report my resting heart rate.
Once week, or so, it asks me to report symptoms, if I am sick, and so far, I have not been ill from anything.
I have been following Topol for a few years, and find his insights invaluable, plus he is “in the industry” and can ferret out fakes and lies pretty easily. I would encourage you (and anyone else) to sign up for it.
Without timely testing and timely results, this may be one of the only ways to avoid problems.