Want to know if 10,000 steps a day helps sleep quality?

As you have likely seen, deeper sleep is correlated with healthier intellect in old age, the removal of waste proteins associated with dementia, and improved healing.

Many of us would like to sleep deeper - but our wearables don’t always help tease out what it is that helps us sleep more restfully.

We are looking for people who have motion and sleep data tracked by their wearable and are interested in the answers to these questions:
–Do the more steps I take in a day result in better sleep at night?
–If I exercise in the morning or at night, do I wake up less often?
–If I make 10K steps per day, do I sleep longer or more deeply?
–What is the least amount of steps I can take per day and still get the benefits?

Our lab is building N=1 automated studies to automatically ingest data and give you a personalized “medical grade” study with the answers.

We are part of MedStar Institutes for Health in Washington D.C. (a ten hospital, not-for-profit, organization that includes Georgetown University Hospital, National Rehabilitation hospital and others).

We believe there are people worldwide who bought wearables because they believed they could improve the quality of their life in one way or another - but it has been difficult to see that difference. We believe many people would like to finally see if the wearable they bought was worth it and whether the number of steps they are taking is making a difference to their health. Lastly, we believe it would be valuable to answer whether 10K steps is actually the threshold needed to gain benefits from motion or whether other variations in motion matter.

If you have step data and sleep data tracked by a wearable, or know someone who does, and would like to know if what the data could tell you, contact us: mike at healthlab dot com

4 Likes

Hi Mike,

Just finding this now, but this is very fascinating. I’ve always thought people would love a service that would analyize their data for them, giving them back the best results from their expert analysis. Maybe this could even be a platform service where people have the data analysis at their fingertips, but probably the experts would do better at knowing what to look for and at using statistical tools.

Where does this project stand now? Have you been able to find insight from people’s data (without the context and personal knowledge that a person has when analyzing their own numbers)?

I’ll send you an email to follow up, and would be happy to hand over some of my QS data in return for analysis :100:
Best,
Kastan