Wearable for Stress - Olive

Dear QSers,

My company has been working on Olive, a wearable to help people measure and manage stress. We’re looking at heart rate variability (HRV), skin conductance (GSR), skin temperature, ambient light, and accelerometer. We are also integrating with calendar and location to understand each person’s context of stress.

Check us out, and we’d love to have some of the QS community as beta testers too: http://igg.me/at/witholive/

Please reach out if interested or have any feedback!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
Hardy

1 Like

Looks nice… How accurate is the optical heart rate monitor? To detect stress-related changes in HRV, you’d have to be within a few milliseconds, right?

Hey Eric. Thanks for your interest in Olive. I am one of Hardy’s teammates at Olive Labs. You are correct, in order to measure HRV, heart rate must be measured accurately at a high frequency. Our optical heart rate sensor is being monitored at upwards of 300Hz. If you have any other questions please let us know. Thanks!

Does the heart rate sensor work during fast physical activity like running, or has it the same issue as MyBasis?

Marco Altini did an excellent comparison of the Mio Alpha wrist band vs. chest strap and Holter style HRV device(s), showing graphs of the R-R measurement inaccuracies. The Mio Alpha wrist device did not fare so well.

The review below says that the Mio did fine for basic HR compared to his other devices. And that the optical HR electronics inside is from Philips Medical. However HRV accuracy appears to be another matter…

William

Looking around for photoplethysmography based devices that claim to have accuracy closer to EKG based chest straps, I found these guys,

2014 White Paper by Valencell and Campbell University
http://www.valencell.com/sites/default/files/white-papers/SEACSM%20PRES2014%20Eschbach%202-10-14.pdf

The device being tested in the paper is, http://www.scosche.com/rhythm-plus

And a review,

Reviewer there pans both the Mio and this Scosche as not recording valid R-R data for HRV.

Hello, Hardy. I have been measuring HRV with Sweetbeatlife and GSR with the Neuma and the Basis. I have run these against my EEG during sleep. From what I can see, GSR seems to be a better metric for stress.

I would love to beta test the device. I collect a lot of biometrics around these two analytics during sleep, exercise and General life. Mostly I am focusing on skiing and sleep. For the former I have a Hexoskin which also adds respiration metrics. I am keen to know if GSR correlates with shallow chest breathing. The Hexoskin gives me a reading for thoracic and abdominal breathing so I can compare this to stress, level.

Let me know if you need testers. I would be happy to try it out and run some analysis

Beaumont

Hardy,

I am very interested in tracking and understanding the triggers of stress. It is a big issue for me and I am looking for helpful tools. I may be interested in beta testing. What is involved?

Debie

Dear Hardy.

I’m a behavioral architect designing environments with effects on humans. Most of our work is office related and the biggest issue here are stress. We believe that we can design work environment that reduces stress, but most decision makers er sceptical about what induces stress and stick to the argument that stress is primarily a private issue. Therefore it is of great interest to how we can measure stress connected to time of day and location. We are working with third party universities that do observations, interviews and surveys in order to create evidens on the effect of designed workspace, but are really looking for some thing like your piece of technology. We would be very interested in beta testing your device.

Best

Casper

@hardy,

Congratulations on Olive exceeding (by over 80%) its funding goal!

Could you give the QS community an update?

PS: we’ve also migrated to a new forum platform.