Weather Effects on Sleep?

Hi,

I am looking to add weather to my data to look for things that effect my sleep. Does anyone know of a website to start with that can give both weather and astronomy data on an hourly bases or smaller? I am also looking for this kind in depth data from a historical side also so that I can back fill on data I have already collected. I plan on getting a personal weather station, but that may be some time in the future and as I am in an apartment I don’t see getting it set up anytime soon.

Mike

Don’t know about historical weather data, but I’m using a BodyMedia FIT to track sleep, and combine that with data from a Netatmo indoor weather station (air pressure, temperature, air quality and noise). I’ll write up more details as soon as I figure out what to do with this data :slight_smile:

Mike,
You might try your electric company’s website, especially if you have smart meters. Our company posts a good history of actual high and low daily temps. I did do a temperature vs sleep quality comparison using Zeo and found a strong inverse relationship.

Did you ever write that up?

Still got some figuring out to do…

The variables are all related: Opening the window increases air quality, but also reduces temperature while increasing noise–especially when outdoor temperatures are low. Sleep itself affects air quality [1].

The average (or max/min) values over an entire night may be less important than e.g. the conditions when going to bed (higher temperatures can make falling asleep more difficult) or before getting up (when noise is more likely to interfere with sleep).

[1] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC459437/

Well, that’s what time-series models are for. You could post the data and see if anyone can take a crack at it.

You mean, sleep affects breathing.

Further complications: I don’t sleep alone (and our bed times often aren’t in sync), and the sleep “efficiency” values are just rough estimates (just realized that the values probably correlate more strongly with the softness of the surface I’m sleeping on than with the amount of sleep I got)…

I’ll make some of the data available, but don’t want anyone to lose any sleep over it :slight_smile:

Sleeping (or at least deep sleep) should lower the metabolic rate, so less CO2 is exhaled, which is what I’m currently measuring as “air quality”.