What Didn't You Learn? QS Top Drawer Phenomena

I don’t know if this is really captured by the Show & Tell, but I would love to know all the things that people set out to track but found out very little in the process. Whether that was due to the experimental protocol not being right to discerrning a relationship or something of little conclusive significance emerging by the end of it.
I feel like I am going to end up that way in what I have been tracking my sleep against. I think a lot can be learned from unlearnt projects

1 Like

My struggle so far seems to be I have far too much meaningful data and limiting my scope to actually analyse it for useful results poses a challenge. I guess I could slow right down and spend more time with analysis but I’m impatient for more growth.

Hi Said, this is very common, especially for technical people who start out thinking that the learning is somehow “in the data” and therefore “more data = more learning.” But just like it is harder to hear the words to a song when there are other songs playing at the same time (plus a bunch of random sounds), more data can make it harder to learn something rather than easier. What if you stopped gathering data for a bit and asked: What question would I most like to explore right now? And then: Is there a simple measurement that would help me clarify my thinking?

1 Like

I have never not learned anything, even if it wasn’t what I had set out to learn :smile:

Sometimes you start out collecting data to get a feel for what is possible, but I don’t subscribe to the idea that if you collect as much data as possible, enlightenment will follow…

2 Likes

Lol yeah @Agaricus I think I follow, I mean. To be honest I’ve already had extremely empowering results from what little experiments I’ve done. My self knowledge, productive output, even efficiency and ease of process reviewing my time.

Like, I have been tracking habits and thoughts just for the sake of simple record keeping since finding QS and also because it helps me stay on track. These uses are powerful enough already. However the more I roam through the archives the more I learn about useful ways of organising data to reveal things. That presentation seems to affect learning just as much as tracking does. And a bunch of other wired things like this I never could have expected.

I’m currently brainstorming how to shift my data collection so it’s one rolling infinite scrolling database (viewed by week) rather than databases separated into weeks because I think when I have the time to take an amatuer stats class and figure out how to statistically analyse stuff, it’ll be easier that way.

Tracking time, habits, and struggles has so far been incredible. To the point I’m now looking at sleep tracking options because I’m curious, I can see how data tracking could easily grow out of hand lol.
I guess I have a feeling of tension related to uncertainty around best practices, I suppose what you’re advocating is reverse engineering measurements from focused questions as a solution to that tension?

And yeah lmao exactly @ejain every damn time I set out to learn one thing I seem to learn that and something else.

I guess I can see the struggle with the N-of-1 model, which again makes me grateful this place exists to help beginners find their footing.

I feel like there’s a profound parallel between the tensions of one noob trying to build a QS, both a uniquely individual yet also universal experience, and the struggle of simply being a person. :joy::man_facepalming:t5:

@Said_Bouziane, There might be something interesting in this talk for you:

My Spreadsheet from Hell by Katie McCurdy

Also, here is another “all in one” tracking approach using spreadsheets:

Life Logging: Using Spreadsheets by Phil von Stade

1 Like

Thanks @Agaricus. I have a real similar tracking vibe for sure. Easy to collect / easy to review / as much data as feels relevant / grow as you go / long term mentality.

I love how Katie presented, so chill yet high quality and something like that wouldn’t be too hard to do stuck at home. :joy::thinking: