Working with the academic research community

Hi everyone!

We had Gary Wolf as a guest speaker at our recent Science Online Bay Area event and got into an interesting discussion about the possibility of the QS community working with the academic research community to expand the research capabilities of both communities.

Gary said this would be a good place to open up the discussion about what kind of interesting things could be done and who might want to be involved. Have there been any projects that have combined the two communities that have already been started?

For this to have the best results it would need to be a good back and forth kind of deal. For those of us who can collect and share the data, but do not know how to work with it, it would be nice if insight into how to do this would be nice. And I am sure others will give you more kinds of needs also.

Thanks for your reply Michael. I agree it will be important for both sides to get what they need from the relationships that are formed. I imagine this will be similar to how collaborations are formed between academic researchers. We have been trying to make this more effective and efficient with Science Exchange and I’m hoping access to the expertise available at Science Exchange will also be useful to the QS community.

I was at the event as well and while I’m new to this forum, I’m not new to the community, and I would love to know what sort of “collective wisdom” sorts of things have been done with self-tracking data. I also have some analytical skills to share. If people have an analysis problem they’re working on, I’d be willing to help.

Thanks for this interesting start to what I hope will be a useful conversation, perhaps to be continued at the conference in a breakout session. I think the work of Ian Eslick is going to be especially relevant, if you don’t know it here is a link: http://ianeslick.com/

Thanks Gary - Ian’s work looks really interesting!

From my perspective this would kind of be like any kind of study out there. Like my demographic would fit the need for a researcher that could use some more info for their project and in the process they provide ongoing results to me. As an example I am Male, 45yrs old, 6ft 2in, 273lbs, balding, sleep apnea, hypertension, tinnitus, G.E.R.D., born in FL, 20yrs in the U.S.N., etc. if I fit a needed criteria that provide data for then I would be willing to do it for free as long as I got some knowledge and maybe some direction in how to better track my issues. At least this is the way I see it working. I could be way off base thought.

Hello,

my department (media psychology) is interested in QS research, and we’re currently working on a way on how to conduct research that is useful for more in-depth research later on and at the same time (as mentioned above) gives interesting insights and feedback to the participants as well.
We would like to get an insight into the demographics of user and what is being quantified and tracked (and what’s tracked more often than other stuff), and what impact that has on well-being, self-esteem, and so forth. I think there is mostly a positive connection, and the (let’s say) time effort is worth the improvement. A lot of things surely make sense to track. A benefit for the user to participate would be to maybe find out what might make the least sense to track because a connection to a positive improvement couldn’t be found.
What we thought we could surely do was give immediate feedback right after the participant answered the questionnaire, by e.g. providing the scores and if this score is comparably low or high in comparison to a known average.
Afterwards, we thought of providing 1. a report of the overall results 2. the individual scores in relation to the average of all participants
Insights in how to work with your data, as MichaelDKester suggested, might be possible, we haven’t considered that so far as a benefit for the participants. Like, a short instruction manual in how to use some statistical methods?

Please let me know what you think in general about my(our) idea…