Zeo hack to trigger lucid dreaming

I’m a lucid dream researcher and have done a great deal with a variety of devices and Galantamine etc.
I was interested to hear about some recent research which showed how LDs could be triggered by applying 40hz signals to the parietal and temporal lobes during REM sleep(http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nn.3719.html).
I recently purchased a Zeo (now defunct) and as it appears to be very good at detecting REM without using a mask, I thought it would be worthwhile considering using it as the starting point to develop a device which can be used to deliver the 40hz stimulation at the correct time.
I am looking for like minded parties who would be keen to work on this together with me as I don’t have the necessary electrical engineering skills to do this on my own.
My longer term goal would be to bring such a device to market.
I’d be interested in your thoughts. Thanks. I’m based in the UK.

1 Like

Ummm, looks like this forum is full of lookers but sadly few doers. Never mind.

Hi Mike,

I am a Berkeley bioengineering graduate student with the same goal. I’ve been researching the topic and consulting with an electrical engineer for the past few weeks. I would be happy to share what I have found if you are still interested.

Ben
ben.dichter@gmail.com

Already been done and works great

1 Like

From the lucidcode website

I built a tdcs device in the past. Looking at tacs, it looks quite simple to put together a device to output 40khz @ 1ma constant current for such a device. I would imagine you would use either the Zeo bedside unit with serial cable and write some Python Code, or the zeo mobile with the open Android API (+Android code) to send a signal (via Bluetooth 4.0) to a microprocessor (ie. Arduino + BLE) to flash some LED’s and trigger the tacs device for 30 seconds or more when a REM state is entered.

I might give this a try, seems quite simple… I already have the zeo bedside unit, so if I can source a cheap 3.3v Arduino BLE and wait a month for my FTDI serial cable to arrive (from china) I’ll write up some python code and write up some schematics for a tacs device with flashing leds.

Mike,

I just found your post from last year. Are you still interested in Lucid Dreams using ZEO or other devices?

Emil
Sydney, Australia
inducta4@gmail.com

Hi,

still interested/working on this?
Would like to know more as I’m also researching on this these days