Zeo shutting down: export your data!

I’m new to the website and have tried to read through several pages of the threads to find the information on this, but didn’t see it (either it’s not there or I missed it)

Most of the posts refer to the bedside unit which provides what appears to be easier access to data and has plenty of information on updating the firmware. Since it has an external SD card it makes it easier to manipulate and access the firmware as well as the data.

I am wondering if anyone knows where to get the latest firmware update for the mobile sleep manager head band and what the instructions are for uploading it. The version that I have on my current head band is 0.0.47. For over a year now that has worked fine so I am also wondering if anyone knows what the firmware update is good for since in contrast to the bedside unit I don’t believe there is an option to export raw data as a CSV file (ie encoded and encrypted data doesn’t mean anything here since all you get are hypnographs). There appears to be another thread discussing this, but sadly no answer to this question, so I am wondering if anyone here has the answer.

Having used the device for over a year I think I can answer a few of the questions I saw that came up here regarding the mobile version of the device. The advantage of the mobile device is that you can access your data on an iPhone or Android phone. What is displayed is what I think everyone else is referring to as a hypnogram. Also the headband and charger are a little easier to transport & can be charged via a computer using the micro or mini usb port (depending on whether you have the mobile pro or mobile pro plus). The data can also be exported, but I don’t see any way to get the underlying data as a CSV file like you can with a bedside unit (for the average person that level of detail is probably unnecessary). I do have probably about a years worth of data showing up on my phone so its easy to see. So the person who said you can easily see and access just a weeks worth of data on the mobile device is incorrect. In fact, it sounds like the iPhone app (and perhaps the Android) permits you to see MORE not less historical data than the bedside unit. I can’t tell for sure, but I think the bar graph increments are about 7-8 minutes. From what I read that suggests that the bedside unit provides a more detailed hypnogram. Does it matter? probably not for most of us.

The original app is no longer available on iTunes and I don’t know if it is still available on Android (I’m guessing yes, since my brother bought a unit & used it on his Android phone AFTER Zeo went out of business). I followed with interest the thread on how the old iphone app doesn’t work on the new MAC OS 7 operating system. Oddly enough I did not experience such an issue. So yes this means my same old software from IOS 6 (which must be over a year old) still works on my iPhone 4S that has OS 7. It may be that the operating system on an iPhone 5 using IOS 7 is different from an iPhone 4S, but I doubt it. I’m more inclined to think that the software got corrupted (as sometimes happens) or that for users that started using the app BEFORE upgrading or who never restored their phone as new that the app will work fine. I’m not an iPhone developer, but I always had the impression it was possible to upload apps downloaded with a different Apple ID. I thought the issue is more of getting one of those nasty messages to input the password that you don’t know even though when you don’t the program still loads and still runs (of course NOT having much experience with this I could be totally wrong).

@hansolo,

These are interesting thoughts. I have both the Zeo bedside unit and the mobile version both bought on Ebay after Zeo went out of business. I like the mobile version for the same reason that Hansolo mentioned, plus I am able to take it with me when I am travelling thus helping me to evaluate how my sleep is affected by things outside of my daily routine.

I currently have the mobile version running on an Android device because the Android app was still available on Google Play while the Iphone app was already removed from the App Store. However I would rather run the device with my Iphone because I have all my other tracking applications on the Iphone as well. I have an Iphone 4s running IOS 7.

Would anyone be able to send me his or her backed-up Zeo Iphone app? I would really like to try to install it on my Iphone and see if it works. Thanks in advance for any help!

I would love it if you could provide the file! I’ve mucked around with my phone and now realized I couldn’t get the app anymore :frowning:

Thanks a million for everyone helping us in the post ZEO era! I was able to download the firmware and have been reading my sleep data every night. But having a little problem that I hope you have a suggestion on.

My REM time is reading to high for a given night. I can lay in bed barely awake watching the bedside unit and see it record me being in REM sleep for 10 or sometimes 15 minutes. If I get up and go to the bathroom, that wakes me up enough that it will record that I’m Awake. But after I get comfortable and relaxed in bed again and start to feel drowsy, it will record REM again.

I thought perhaps the problem is my headband sensors need to be replaced. So I bought the Ambu BlueSensor P Electrodes p/n P-00-S/50 (special order from my local medical supply store), http://web.archive.org/web/20120107073301/http://www.myzeo.com/sleep/node/594
I am having the same problem with REM being recorded by the Bedside unit even though I am awake.

Any suggestions on dealing with this would be greatly appreciated. I am an R&D engineer and accustomed to looking at raw electronics data. I’m thinking perhaps I am going to need to interpret the raw data from the ZEO myself to determine the quantity of REM I am actually getting each night.

On a related topic, the professionally administrated Polysonogram (PSG) I had done shows that I am getting very little deep sleep. The ZEO data matches this. If you any suggestions beyond the normal “get a better nights sleep recommendations,” specifically on getting more deep sleep, it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Al

Al,

See the video “behind the headband part 4” here:

Zeo talks a little bit about the difficulty in some instances for them to differentiate between REM and Wake. You might try wearing your headband differently, higher or lower, or perhaps moving the bedside unit further from your bed to change the amplitude of the received signal and see if that helps. If you think about it, lying quietly in bed watching the bedside unit (eyes darting back and forth) probably looks very much like REM to the ZEO algorithm and there may not be much that can be done about it, except not wear the headband before you’re ready to go to sleep. I think Zeo is best suited for establishing trends rather than absolutes.

As one who has tried, I can tell you that it’s very difficult to increase the amount of deep sleep one obtains. Your PSG should have pointed out any sleep abnormalities such as apnea, PLMD, etc. If so, take care of those first. Do a complete blood work up to determine any vitamin or hormonal deficiencies (such as D3, B12, ferritin, thyroid, etc.), look for other factors which could disturb sleep, light, noise, pain, etc., and most importantly, practice good sleep hygiene and exercise. There are a few drugs which could help as a last, and probably not very effective, resort. You can Google “drugs which promote deep sleep” to get an idea. There are also many drugs which disturb sleep, again try Google. Many drugs, OTC and Rx, used for sleep promotion and maintenance actually have a negative impact on sleep architecture. See here for some examples: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68121

See this guy’s blog for some ideas analyzing your own data: http://wiredapneic.blogspot.com/

This has been kind of a rambling post, but hopefully it’s given you some ideas.
Jay

I just bought a ZEO Mobile device. Only to find out I can’t actually use it. Before I return it I would really like to try and get it working.

I run an iphone5s with ios7. Sounds like if I get the app from someone I should be able to look at my sleep data for the previous sleep.

As the app is no longer available on the iTunes store would someone please send it to me or let me know where I can get my hands on it.

Much appreciated.
Ced

Thanks to all that have contributed to these posts. There is much information that has been supplied and is helpful to others such as myself.

Last night I used my Zeo Sleep Manager Mobile device, for that first time. I had purchased it recently on eBay. All went fine installing the app, syncing the sensor and getting a night of data. My phone is a Samsung S4. The Zeo Manager HW version is 2.0.1 and SW version is 0.0.56. The Android app 1.2.7.

What I need to do is to save the data from each night. A number of ideas have appeared in the posts on this forum and I have tried some, but not all. First, I can “share” the activity of last night from the “history” tab of the app, but the attached picture does not include a whole nights-worth of data, just a small part of the image on the phone. As post #24 suggested, I examined the tmp folder of Android/data/com.myzero.android on my phone, but the *.jpg only showed part of the night’s activity and not all. I have found no way to email, text or share all of the data.

First I resorted to taking a picture of the display on my cell phone. Very crude, I admit, and not something I want to do all the time, but I captured it. I then discovered I could save a screen copy from the phone and share it. Crude, but it saves a picture of the data. However, I would like to down load the actual data rather than a picture. I have some things to try:

1. The suggestion of post #222. I will need to ask the author some questions to do that. @jbebel?

“However, it’s still possible to use adb from the android development kit to back up the data. Get the sdk from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html and run ‘adb backup com.myzeo.android’ Then you can use the android backup extractor from http://sourceforge.net/projects/adbextractor/ to get the data out of the backup. You wind up with a zeo.db sqlite file.”

2. The suggestion in Post #190. I will need to ask the author some questions to do that. @smklancher?

“For Android, you can use the following CSV app to dump the data and send them to yourself via email, etc. APK here: com.myzeo.android.demos.data_to_csv.apk”

The question: Has anyone been able to successfully download a night’s (or a week’s or more) worth of data from the Android app for the Zeo Mobile in either of the methods above or any other method? I would appreciate the help.

Does anyone know where the data is saved for the Zeo Sleep Manager (Mobile) for the Android operating system. I have searched all the files (hidden and not) of my Samsung Galaxy S4 and there does not seem to be a thing that has any reasonable sounding name. For those files that just might house the data, there is nothing that seems to be of the right size or structure - even in Hex.

Thanks, Bob

Hi bo3bber, Thanks for this. I have my old ZEOSLEEP.DAT file which is encrypted. It has 3-4 years of data and is 5mb+. I used your .jar file and created a decrypted.dat file of exactly the same size. When I try to use Zeo Decoder Viewer to load decrypted.dat I get a “File Error” Warning Dialog Box. See screenshot:

A Java programmer told me that my large ZEOSLEEP.DAT file may be compressed and can’t be read by Zeo Decoder Viewer. The Zeo Decoder Viewer works fine with my current decrypted ZEOSLEEP.DAT file from my bedside unit. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I’d be glad to send you the old ZEOSLEEP.DAT file to try to decrypt.

Hi drcbc,

I’m not sure what that error is about. My sleep file is only 2M though, so maybe there is something about the size.

I’ve made another possible way to decrypt it, with a Windows exe instead. This can avoid possible problems of running out of memory with the Java. Worth a try in any case.

Please try this exe if you can, and let me know if it works. Drag and drop your master onto the window, and the decrypted- version will be in the same directory. (No notification just yet, it’s not quite done.)

Please let me know either way. I can also take a closer look at the Java error.

http://bo3b.net/zeo/ZeoDecrypt.exe or ZeoDecrypt.zip (25.0 KB)

Thanks,
bo3b

1 Like

b03b thanks for this. Tried the exe file, it does create a decrypted-ZEOSLEEP.dat file, same size as the encrypted dat file but I get the same “File Error” message when I try to load it in the viewer. Is there any other viewer to try with the decrypted dat file?

Not that I know of, but someone else here might know of other viewers.

Please go ahead and send me your zeosleep.dat file via PM, and I’ll take a look with the debugger.

Sorry, not much help, but I have never found any Zeo files on my S4 either. I have tried the com.myzeo.android.demos.data_to_csv.apk method and it just gives me an error on my phone.

I would be very interested to learn of any way to get this to work.

Hello, everyone! I want to buy and try zeo mobile. I know that Zeo company shut down but i don’t understand can i view my sleep data via Zeo app on android? Or can i view sleep data with some other apps on android or ios? Thank you.

Terry,
I recently purchased a Zeo mobile on ebay and it works fine. In the morning I can see my sleep data on my Galaxy S4 with the Android App. History is there also. The way I save my data so I can review it later on my PC is to take a screen shot of the graph and summary (using the information stored for the night available from the history tab) with the phone in the landscape mode so I can see it all and then upload the snapshot to Google Drive that is sync’ed with my PC. It isn’t a great way to do things, but with Zeo being out of business, it isn’t a bad solution. The information I get is in graphical form (or a screen shot of the summary). As yet, I have not been able to translate the graphical form into numerical data or to find the underlying numerical data anywhere else. I am enjoying my Zeo Mobile using Android.
Bob

Terry,

By the way, the headband sensor ("Softwave sensor) will need replacing at some point and there aren’t any available cheaply, so plan on making those parts. Instructions from those who have done it are referred to in this forum. One is, http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Replacement-Zeo-Sleep-Monitor-Headband-Sensor/
I have just make my first one and it seems to work although I want to improve on my second model.

Bob

Bob, thank you for the answer and for sharing your experience.
About replacing, how much time does the original headband clearly work? And how it fails, in what way?

Terry,
I am too new to using the Zeo to know how long the sensors really last. The company suggests replacement every three months, but that may be more often than need be. Now that I can make my own, I am not worrying too much. The way in which I have heard the sensor fails is that the data will show periods of time with no sleep designation. Basically, there is no signal to the transmitter. I have seen those “drop-outs” when I don’t have the headband on tight enough. Sooner or later, however, the silver coating on the sensor pads will wear out or become too sparse and the signal will be lost all together or the resistance to the skin become to
high for reliable measurement. That’s what I know as a novice.

Bob

Terry and Bob, I can usually get near 6 months from the sensors (180 days of use +/-). I have the bedside unit, but the sensors are basically the same except for placement of the snaps. I change mine when I’ve worn it in excess of 4 months and the readings (hypnogram) become erratic. It seems my hypnogram stages of sleep will be broken with many unexplained awake periods as the sensors age. My last sensor set was changed at approximately 7 months. I usually don’t get complete signal drops unless the sensor has slipped off my head. My guess is there might be considerable differences in individual results and the 3 month (90 session) replacement schedule chosen by Zeo was to cover worst case conditions.

Jay

Bob and Jay, thanks for the answers. I bought it today and will try it with big interest! :slight_smile:
By the way, is there some zeo community or forum for zeo users? Where people can share their experience and knowledges how to use zeo in different ways or how to improve sleep?
And what about other apps which can use zeo? I found Quantid - life tracker app, for example.

Terrry. I hope you were the guy on ebay who bought the mobile unit for $46 today. It was a good price. I bid against that person for a while, just for the headband. I have a unit already and am working through the Mobile unit setup. Next on my list is to get the serial port stuff up and working for real-time information. bob