Zeo shutting down: export your data!

The ZEO Data Decoder Library Documentation describes what the data for the Bedside unit records. I assume it is the same as the Mobile version.

base_hypnogram
Records the sleep stages on a 30 second time scale. The base_hypnogram tag contains a space-separated list of numbers. The first element represents the time period starting at the time specified in the hypnogram_start time tag and ending 30 seconds later. The sleep stages are encoded as integers according to the following mapping: (deep and deep_2 both represent deep sleep)
0. undefined

1. wake
  2. REM
  3. light
  4. deep
  5. (not used)
  6. deep_2
    display_hypnogram
    Records the sleep stages on a 5 minute time scale. The display_hypnogram tag contains a space separated list of numbers. The first element represents the time period starting at the time specified in the hypnogram_start time tag and ending 5 minutes later. The sleep stages are encoded as integers according to the following mapping:
  7. undefined
  8. wake
  9. REM
  10. light
  11. deep

I hope this helps.

As to the display of data, I pulled the CSV data into excel. Put time in first column, Sleep number in Second column and then set up columns for Awake, REM, Light, and Deep.
To make the graph look like the ZEO plots I reversed the numbers (although I could reverse the Y axis scale on the excel chart to fit the numbers correctly).
To populate the cells under those columns I referenced the sleep number column and for awake put =IF(B2=1,4,"") {since I used 4 for awake not 1}, REM =IF(B2=2,3,""), Light =IF(B2=3,2,""), Deep =IF(B2=4,1,""). The result is filling each of these columns with blanks or the number I used for that state when I was in that state. Then I put together a clustered column chart for each of the four columns and matched the column colors to what ZEO had used. I also adjusted the column width to fill the full time interval. TIme was my x axis.
All of the effort was to see if I could reasonably duplicate the daily web display. I was satisfied with the results, but the process needs to be automated to make this approach practical.

Enjoy

I have a Zeo bed side that I just bought 3 weeks ago. I was able to down load and print out one week of data before the site went down. Is there any way to get the information out of my SD card with out the site being up any more. I thought that Dan’s firmware and data decoder might help but my computer does not know how to open either of those links. Pardon me if someone has already answered this question but not being tech savy I am having trouble understanding some of the above posts

@Steve222, it is not that easy, I admit. I am also busy getting data from the Zeo bedside to my pc. You can start reading my post above here (#22).
First, you need update firmware so your Zeo bedside can export data unencrypted, and then you can change the data to human readable text for the import in Excel. It is explained in post #6 and #10 from this thread.

Hello,
I’m new here. I went to get my data tonight and found myzeo.com was for sale at godaddy! So I didn’t get my data…

I googled and found this great community. I’ve been reading through the posts and have found the hidden directory on my android in Android/data/com.myzero.android but the only thing I found in there was a tmp folder with a jpg of the recent night’s sleep.

The app on the android has quite a bit of the history still showing, so I’m thinking the data (sqllite?) has to be in there somewhere. I would like to be able to just copy that data off of the device for now and then look at parsing it.

I would appreciate any advice on where to get the data and apologize in advance if I missed the instructions.

much thanks,
joseph

Unfortunately I don’t have a Zeo… Ant is a Java build automation tool. You can download it from https://ant.apache.org/. Please do share your success.

Have you something like this:
Sleep Date,ZQ,Total Z,Time to Z,Time in Wake,Time in REM,Time in Light,Time in Deep,Awakenings,Start of Night,End of Night,Rise Time,Alarm Reason,Snooze Time,Wake Tone,Wake Window,Alarm Type,First Alarm Ring,Last Alarm Ring,First Snooze Time,Last Snooze Time,Set Alarm Time,Morning Feel,Day Feel 1,Day Feel 2,Day Feel 3,Notes,SS Fall Asleep,SS Anticipation,SS Tension,SS Comfort,SS Noise,SS Light,SS Temperature,SS Familiar,SS Bedroom,SS Disruption,SS Hot Flashes,SS Dreams,SS Fullness,SS Hunger,SS Heartburn,SS Caffeine,SS Alcohol,SS Thirst,SS Restroom,SS Wind Down,SS Sleepiness,SS Exercise,SS Time Before Bed,SS Conversations,SS Activity Level,SS Late Work,SSCF 1,SSCF 2,SSCF 3,SSCF 4,SSCF 5,SSCF 6,SSCF 7,SSCF 8,SSCF 9,SSCF 10,SSCF 11,SSCF 12,SSCF 13,SSCF 14,SSCF 15,SSCF 16,SSCF 17,SSCF 18,SSCF 19,SSCF 20,SSCF 21,Sleep Graph,Detailed Sleep Graph,Firmware Version,MyZeo Version

I used these data when I could download this but now I can’t anymore. I don’t have, like you, “help” and in my “diagnostics” I can’t change something…For “connected” it is written “No, since 11/06/2013 à 11h:49”! If only I could change that!

Perfect @OP Engr! It helped me enormous. I will explain how I used your information, I hope it will be some use for other readers :wink:

With the unencrypted zeosleep.dat file from my zeo bedside I used “java -jar ZeoDataDecoder.jar zeosleep.dat zeosleep.txt” to create a readable .xml file of it.

Then I opened the xml file in Notepad++ and copied everything between <display_hypnogram> and </display_hypnogram> to a empty Notepad++ file.

Then I got a long line of numbers, like 1 1 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 etc. and I created a small macro in Notepad++ which removed the space and placed a comma.

I saved it as a csv file so I could import it in Excel (finally!)

Because of your knowledge I knew every digit is a 5 minute timespan.
I placed the info a little bit different in the excel file, on the first row I have the time of the night:
22:00 22:05 22:10 22:15 etc. till 09:00
Every 5 minutes is a column. I could paste under the time row the 1,1,3,3,3,3,3 string on the right place (with use of the hypnogram_start_time from the xml file).

Then at last, creating a graph of it.
Still not ideal but I can do something with it!

I’m not sure why myzeo.com shows up on Go Daddy, but if anybody would like to help organize an attempt to purchase it for the benefit of the QS community, I will help. I unfortunately don’t have time to lead on this, but if there is a person in this forum who would like to work on it, I’ll happily rally support, offer some admin/hosting infrastructure, or think about other ways to help.

I didn’t see this link above, is it already in the thread? Zeo firmware and backup of API data:

http://www.openyou.org/2013/06/11/zeo-firmware-and-raw-data-api-on-github/

Gary,
I’m willing to help with securing myzeo.com. Do we have a zeo contact to see about getting the database to put back up?
thanks,
joseph

I’ve reached out to Ben Rubin, one of the founders and a long time QS contributor to ask for a pointer if he has one. He’s been out of the company for a while, but may know.

To all, I’ve created (with a lot of help, because I am not an Excel guru) an Excel file (one workbook with a Graph and Data sheet) which you can use to import *) the unencrypted data from zeosleep.txt **) in the Data sheet under the right date and time.
Then at the Graphic sheet you can see the graphic of your sleep (drop down box to choose different day). Please look at my example data. Enjoy!

*) open zeosleep.txt with e.g. notepad++, copy only the digits between <display_hypnogram> and </display_hypnogram> to a new txt file (e.g. 120613-2340.txt) and in the Excel workbook on the Data sheet set your cursor on the right date and starttime and choose Data tab, From Text, et cetera). -> when someone knows a better solution, please tell!

**) zeosleep.dat converted to zeosleep.txt with the ZeoDataDecoder.jar (run this command: java -jar ZeoDataDecoder.jar zeosleep.dat zeosleep.txt)

Oh, I live in the Netherlands and I have a Dutch version of Excel 2010. I don’t know if that is a problem (formulas?), otherwise please report.

Zeo data graphic with dynamic list.zip (20.0 KB)

I’ve had some email with Ben Rubin, and he let me know that Zeo assets have already been quietly acquired. He hasn’t been involved with the company for many months, but his understanding is that the acquirer doesn’t want to be known until they announce their intentions. Let’s hope for a good outcome. It would be nice if these resources ended up with a company that’s already involved with the QS community in some way and will help with the problems coming up here. We’ll see…

Hi damnsharp,

The Excel file opens fine on Excel 2008 (MAC).

Very similar results and similar approach to working with the data.

I used the 30 sec data to generate the attached plot.

Enjoy

Zeo Bedside Excel Plot.pdf (722.3 KB)

@OP Engr, nice pdf. The 30sec data from the base_hypnogram will indeed give a more smoother result. I will try that also right away :slight_smile:

Wow you get good sleep… Bought a zeo off ebay used for $82 to play with. I was thinking of maybe trying to hack it somehow. Failing that, use the api and make my own app that automates these features/uploads them to a website for me to view and aggregate the data.

As a complement of the former posts, and for the users of the mobile Pro+ version on iTouch/iPhone, the easiest way I found for extracting the sleep data is the following (the applications I use are for Mac OS, but I am sure that equivalent ones can be found out for other operating systems): 1/ the apple Touch is backed up in iTunes, 2/ the backed up data is extracted with “JuicePhone”, 3/ the ZeoDataStore_v1.1.sqlite file (located in “Application Data/Zeo Sleep Manager/Library” of the backed up data) can be opened with “SQLite Browser”, and the table ZZOSLEEPRECORD can be exported in csv format.

And from this ZZOSLEEPRECORD table, I also implemented a first version of a basic Java program (http://www.scanx.org/fredqs/main/zeodevice.html) for generating the sleep data according to the schema of the export process that was available on the Zeo website (can be interesting for those using tools/libraries relying on this schema).

First udate firmware (ZEO-firmware-v2.6.3O.zip, read post #6 in this thread). That is easy, unzip file and place zeo.img on the SD card in the ZEO folder. Then klik Settings button, go to software, change it, et cetera.

Oh please I would be very happy to know how can I download my file! On my telephone I don’t have zeo folder. Ok I can creat one. And on setting, software I can just uninstall the soft. So how can I use zeo.img?

Thank you very much!

Yeah I’m pretty sure the firmware is not for the headband but for the bedside unit, not 100% tho.

Can someone tell me if it is easier to retrieve useful data from the bedside unit using the modified serial cable or the SD card? I don’t have any issue modifying the cable but I am not super familiar with some of the other concepts I have heard described in the process. Thanks!