Zeo shutting down: export your data!

Hi wire-weaver,
Another article on EEG approach:

http://dspace.uta.edu/bitstream/handle/10106/177/umi-uta-1446.pdf?sequence=1

Also I did a fast check on my ZEO and it did not write to the SD card for the 6 min I was monitoring it. So to have the 2 sec data sent to the SD card would require a firmware update and that gets into the domain of the new owner of Zeo IP.

I am still working on the HRV data acquisition to compare with my ZEO results. Given that at this point I am doing a manual analysis process, I will probably just do 5 min samples to overlay with the ZEO display hypnogram.

Articles on Heart Rate Variability and sleep:

OP Engr,
I’m not sure this is relevant and I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that the Zeo does not write to the card unless a sleep session lasts at least 10 minutes.
I assume a sleep session starts for this purpose when the headband starts collecting data and is communicating with the bedside unit, i.e., the JEB icon comes on.
Jay

I updated the firmware and collected data last night but it would not read today, said the data was bad. Although the graph on the bedside unit looked good. I might have messed up because I erased the card first then put the firmware on it, so today I erased it again, I hope it works tomorrow. My wife started using a cpap Thursday night and I’m using the zeo on her to give the Dr more data. What I’m finding is she almost never gets to a deep sleep, although over an hour of Rem the rest is light sleep and 5-7 wake ups for approx 1/2 hour total.

[quote=“larrylwill, post:126, topic:561”]
I updated the firmware and collected data last night but it would not read today, said the data was bad. Although the graph on the bedside unit looked good. I might have messed up because I erased the card first then put the firmware on it, so today I erased it again, I hope it works tomorrow. My wife started using a cpap Thursday night and I’m using the zeo on her to give the Dr more data. What I’m finding is she almost never gets to a deep sleep, although over an hour of Rem the rest is light sleep and 5-7 wake ups for approx 1/2 hour total.[/quote]

Larry,
Are you using the Viewer? Did you follow the steps of my previous post?, Did you put the firmware in the Zeo folder on the SD card? Does the Bedside unit indicate that you have the updated firmware (settings button, right button 7X)? Where did it say the the data was bad? If on the bedside unit, that means that there were too many long breaks in data collection and it would not have been processed by the old website, but you should still be able to pull the data off the card using the decoder or decoderviewer.
J

Yes I did all those things except erase the card AFTER putting the new firmware on it. I erased it before, but yesterday I erased it again, and last night it worked ok. So you MUST erase the card AFTER installing the firmware.

Great! Thanks again Jay. I have updated the firmware and made the cable but instead of a usb, I am going to plug it into an arduino. So I am working on that, I have no previous experience with arduino so I need to know how to connect the cables to the right PINs in the arduino.

Cheers!

if you have a Arduino Uno, you need
UNO ZEO
pin 0 (rx) pin2(tx)
pin 14 (gnd) pin 3 (gnd)

and then it is a normal serial reading exercise.

I am doing the same with a raspberry pi, which is a little easier as it has a lot more memory for storage so I can use it as a logger (and the zeo library is alreading in python so that bit is already done), but it is fairly easy to do with an arduino if you have something to connect it to.

Hi woodinblack,

I got a hold of the reference Pin for the bedside port at the back. What I am stuck at now is to change the firmware, I have downloaded two versions of the firmware-v2.6.3R-zeo.img one of 28Kb and another one of 171Kb. None of them work, or at least when I go:

Settings -> Software version (2.6.3)-> Change

it says:

no / zeo / zeo.img file
load new file

even though the SD card has the img file (any of the two).

Has anybody encountered this problem?

Thanks!

Hi zeoleth,

Is the image file inside the Zeo folder on the SD card?

All the images are around 170k, so any zeo.img file you gave that is very different is not valid. Make sure you have followed all the instructions, the images are extracted from any archive and called zeo.img within a folder called zeo on the sd card

I opened up my new Zeo mobile tonight and now have the battery charging (for about 6 hours) so I’ll probably use it tomorrow night.

Did some reading through most posts in this thread and realised I probably won’t be able to access the raw 128Hz data, only the 5 minute data. With the Zeo Bedside unit the 128Hz raw data is accessible.

This is not a big deal as it would only be useful to me if I decided to write a program to extract the sleep states which will probably take me quite a few days to research, code and test anyway.

Deep sleep to you all !

Hi,

Yes, I copied the .img file into the zeo folder in the SD card. I have tried with several .img files but no luck. I was thinking about reset to original settings and try to update the firmware from scratch again, any thoughts?

How to test that the data is not encrypted? the data file should be plain text if there is no encryption, right?

Thanks for your help.

Hi zeolith,

@woodinblack pointed out the file size for the .img file as around 170KB so toss the 28KB file.

I have successfully erased my SD card on my computer then put it into the Zeo and erased again to set up the zeo folder and the ZEOSLEEP.DAT file. Then back to your computer to put the zeo.img file into the ZEO folder. Try again to upload the new firmware. The system should give the version of firmware it has in it (with the right prompts). If it uploads I would take the .img file off the SD card using your computer and then erase the SD card in the Zeo (again). If this does not work try a new SD card (my unit supports the SDHC cards so I have 8 GB).

The resulting data with the new firmware will be unencrypted, but NOT recognizable as a text file. You will need the data decoder to get to a readable XML version (I don’t recommend the text output).

Hi wire_weaver,

The zeo mobile SQLite database has a field for the base hypnogram so I would expect that you could get 30 sec data from the unit. I have less optimism on retrieving 128 Hz raw data.

Zeoleth,

Review the comments of Woodinblack and OP Engr above.

Confirm the installed firmware on the bedside unit by pressing the settings button and then the right button 7 times.

Remember, if you have followed the instructions to update the firmware, all previous encrypted data will be erased. The firmware does not decrypt data already written to the card. Only new data written will be unencrypted. Neither the ZeoDatadecoder nor the ZeoDecoderViewer will read unencrypted data from a ZeoSleep.Dat file that still contains encrypted data.

If you want to “see” your data, I suggest installing the ZeoDecoderViewer. See my previous post in this thread for instructions. In addition to the Viewer, the ZeoDecoderViewer will create a ZeoData file on the PC which will contain the translated human readable data that has been uploaded from the ZeoSleep.Dat file. You could also install the ZeoDataDecoder which will produce a human readable CSV type data file, but requires a little more work with Java. You can have both installed at the same time, but with either you will still have to collect new data to read.

I have attached a snip of my unencrypted zeosleep.dat file from the SD card. See that even though it is decrypted, it is not human readable.

Jay

I am running the Android ZEO app and this option to send the diagnostic info does not appear. I have version 1.1.10. Can any Android users confirm this for me ? Perhaps you have it in an earlier version of the app.

This is a shame as I was hoping to access something other than a png file of my night’s data ! (I have the ZEO mobile)

The headset module has five contacts on it that must be used for something other than charging the battery (which only needs two contacts). At least two out of the other three are probably Tx and Rx for a serial comms connection, in fact I’d be surprised if ZEO haven’t used the USB skt on the charging dock for data transfer too - it seems an obvious way to communicate with the headband module at least for firmware and real time data transfer.

It looks like clif123 has been investigating the serial link on the Zeo mobile charging dock (see posts #77 and #82).

Have fun figuring this out and keep us posted.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your comments. Yes, following the instructions was not the problem. The problem was the version of the firmware that I was trying to install. For some reason, in my case it only worked when I used the O version, rather than the R versions I found.

I will use a parser on the unencrypted data from my arduino and will report back.

Again, thanks for your help!

Zeoleth - I thought you wanted to get the data from the serial port at the back with your arduino? If so, the O firmware is not much use to you, it is only switched on with the R firmware. The O firmware just unencrypts the output on the SD card, which would be easier to process on a PC rather than an arduino. Is that what you wanted to do, or do you just need the location of an R firmware?

Did you try the firmware posted on this thread at http://www.openyou.org/2013/06/11/zeo-firmware-and-raw-data-api-on-github/ ?

1 Like

Hi woodinblack,

Yes, that is exactly what I want to do. My problem was that I could not update the firmware with any of the R versions I tried. I did not know this about the O version, the only thing I did was to update it and check the data in the SD card using the zeo reader. I had no idea that it would not work on the serial port.

So back to square one :frowning:

However, I have not tried the one you mentioned so I will try it and let you know.

Many thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks woodinblack, the version you suggested worked! Now I need to test the output of the port with the arduino.

Do you know if with that version the data written to the SD card is also unencrypted?

Many thanks!