Basis Peak Recalled Permanently - Data Access Ends Dec 31

The recall announcement is here: http://www.mybasis.com/.

Anybody sending theirs back? Anybody been burned?

Looks like the watches will be useless after 31st Dec :frowning: I guess it apply to both the B1 & the Peak?

Any suggestions for a replacement? Does anything else come close? with GSR, temperature as well as heart rate?

Any other devices have access to the data via scripts or easily automated downloads?

Their online store is gone and they did not announced a replacement product.
So it looks like they are closing shop and moving onto other (Intel) directions.

But there is no mention of B1, neither in the email they sent nor on their website. So I am still hoping they will continue servicing B1.

Anyone has a good script, repository or resource to suggest to get the Peak data? Not just the pretty graphs but as much of the data points making them as possible. In as raw a format as a txt or csv file. And not the summary (amount of time in each sleep stage) but the very detailed data (every sleep stage data points, every sensor data points, etc…).

And to add a +1 to Justin’s comment I would love to hear about a sleep tracker that also reports heart rate data every minute, and gives access to it.
Many devices report HR data every 5 or 10 minutes during sleep, which I found useless. I haven’t verified that recently, so please tell me I am wrong!! :scream:

My (second) Basis Carbon Steel coincidentally died a few weeks back - that’s how I discovered the recall because last time Basis replaced my broken device for free. This time they said to return it and they sent me a prepaid shipping label. I am awaiting payment (I’m getting $234 for the Carbon Steel + charger), which they said could take 10 days after receiving the device.

You can download all of your data in .csv format via the Basis Peak app, but my Basis data export script still works - https://github.com/btroia/basis-data-export

1 Like

are you also interested in setting up a server to catch the data and keep wearing the band?

I am about 10% interested in doing it myself. If there was more interest I might be keen. I even joined QSforum to say so.

1 Like

Can you download Basis B1 data to csv through the Basis Peak app?

you get better data via the “basis retriever” program and python script.

I had a bug in it using just the python script via linux but the .exe works fine via a windows machine. in the end I ran it via virtual machine instead of fixing the script up.

What do you mean “better data”? Does it download sleep data too? Or?

From what I can remember, the CSV download didn’t have as much detail as the basis retriever.

yep.

BR:
datetime,skin_temp,air_temp,heartrate,steps,gsr,calories,act_type,sleep_type,toss_turn

Basis email CSV:
date,calories,gsr,heart-rate,skin-temp,steps

www.richk.net/wiki/BasisRetriever

And yes, a few other data sources like the activity data. “running” data

FWIW, I still use the Zeo App w/ a dedicated iPhone 4 w/ iOS 5.x.x.
It exports data via email, which is visible by Woody’s PC (Mac or Win) App.
Woody to the rescue
Thus, if you think Intel/Basis provided everything you need, give it a shot, but I would dedicate an iOS 9.3.x to the App/Device if you’re serious.

Fyi, just received my refund today (took about 2 weeks). Now what should I spend it on?.. :confused:

Whoop seems to have a nice set of sensors comparable to Basis, but unfortunately they have no plans to offer API access, which for me is a dealbreaker:

2 Likes

+1 I’m looking for something that has an API AND LETS ME ACCESS MY OWN SLEEP DATA THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! >: (

In fact, I think this community could really benefit from a product roundup section. Something where everybody that offers something is listed, with the pros and the cons (I know, subjective… blabbla) but just somewhere to point people to when they ask “What wearable should I get?”

3 Likes

+1 Awesome idea!!

Many of us in the same boat here.

I would be willing to pay 500 USD for something like whoop if it ticked all the boxes - including API access to the data.

ĹŚURA plans provide web access to detailed data like night time HR values per minute still during this year.

ouraring.com

1 Like

I emailed basis. Got a reply that they are following up and will let me know with regard to data systems. Will keep you updated when I hear back again.

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the late reply to this discussion full of great ideas.

First Basis confirmed me that both Peak AND B1 services will be shut down on Dec 31st.

As for an alternate to Peak/B1 I add a +1 to setting up some kind of Zeo like approach where the data can still be obtained from the device after the Basis servers are turned off.
But from my perspective the only data I have really used out of both devices is the heart rate while sleeping. As crazy as it sounds I haven’t found another sleep tracking device that provides data every 1 minute. With the exception of NeuroOn, which I haven’t tried but is tempting (not advertising it, just trully curious as it is a different type of device than a wrist one)

Since I am using other sleep trackers to track my sleep onset time, the only valuable data provided (in my opinion), I am considering getting a Wrist Pulse Oximeter instead.

I have a spreadsheet type of list of sleep trackers, with about 70 different devices listed. So I would be more than happy to help contribute to a product roundup section. As I have tried devices over the years I realize there is a lot of junk in that sleep tracking device field. And it is hard to get info on details that matter (to me), like the frequency of heart rate data at night.

wow. Got a very quick, short no. They don’t want to release anything.

@Luke_Sleepwalker I would love to see that spreadsheet if you can put in onto google docs or something…

I’ve got a A basis peak.I’ve applied for a refund but as I imported it from Australia I’m not sure they are coming to the party with the refund. They arent sold here.I would love to know of you can continue to use it via a hack but I 'm all new to this and have no know how.

The sleep data has parallel reliability with an industry sleep test which is what attracted me to it in the forst place. And the usual fitness data was great.

I did see this Angel Sensor which is purely open source and against having your data snitched for neferious purposes. However its first model has only just been released and is for app developers rather than end users. It sounds good but needs time.

what do others think?

http://angelsensor.com

I own 2 Angel Sensors (original model that was crowdfunded, and the newer model they subsequently released). I was excited at the promise of an “open” piece of hardware, but unfortunately both are still in their original boxes.

I have seen them provide near zero community support for their products and software - they have all of their code available on GitHub - https://github.com/AngelSensor/angel-sdk , but the code has not been updated in months, and there are numerous bugs/issues from the community. There are even reports of people who crowdfunded the product 2+ years ago still not receiving their devices.

Due to lack of updates, frustrated developers have forked the official GitHub repository and created their own “community edition” where people can submit issues and pull requests - https://github.com/AngelSensorCommunityEdition/angel-sdk-community

Too bad. I’m not going to invest any of my time developing for an unproven platform until I am confident it will be around in a year.