Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations for 24/7 Continuous Monitoring and Logging

Hi Marco,
I looked up your app in itunes. I may get a Bluetooth HR transmitter and try it out.
How does your app export data?
Is it in the document folder and available in iTunes?
Is the raw data available and in what format (.hrm, .csv, .txt, sqlite)?
What is the maximum file size (can it record 24 hours)?
Thank you

Hi ejain,
When do the BT LE data failures occur? Is it during the awake periods (stationary or moving) or asleep?
I had problems with sensor contact while in a prone position resulting in dropped HR data. Rolling tends to push the strap away from the body. Using the conductive gel improved my results significantly.
Thank you

Hi,
sorry for the late reply, for some reason I did not get any notification.

The export is in CSV format (timestamps + values), and files are indeed available under your apps in itunes. I provide a different file for Heart Rate readings received from the sensor, R-R intervals (also received from the sensor) and computed features (listed in the app page).

Iā€™m updating it in these days, providing direct upload to your Dropbox as suggested from a user. This way you donā€™t need to connect the cable and go on itunes.

Regarding maximum time recordings, I did some experiments recently because I got this question quite often. You can do reliable 4-5 hours recording, but I had problems when I tried to go beyond 10 hours (at a certain point data started missing, after approx 7 hrs. also, the BLE connection is continuously streaming and might also go wrong at a certain point - for example during a night recording). I might try to improve it at a certain point, but at the moment I would not guarantee very long recordings (i.e >> 5 hours). Iā€™m testing with an iPhone 4S and a mio alpha.

best,
Marco

The data looks good (as far as I can tell). But I sometimes need to restart the phone before I can establish a connection (after the phone has been in airplane mode?), and once I disconnect, I often need to disable and re-enable Bluetooth before I can connect again.

I havenā€™t bothered doing 24/7 recordings because itā€™s hard to avoid occasional disconnects (unless youā€™re strapped to a table in a shielded room), and I canā€™t get the recording app to reestablish the connection smoothly.

Fitbit hasnā€™t been able to support Android 4.3 (on the Nexus 4 and some other devices) for the same (or a similar) reason.

The first version of BLE support in iOS apparently had similar issues, so Iā€™m hoping that this will be addressed in a future version of Android. But even so, Iā€™d rather have a device that can store several days of data, and sync on demand for 24/7 recordings. Also, the battery should be rechargeable and last for several days (the Polar H7ā€™s button battery probably needs to be replaced every few days).

Hi,

You might be interested to look at this as apparently this is exactly what you want and it works with polar h7 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDgQFjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fdocument%2Fd%2F1eEdfpfL9Jy9EX9_FvWuDv7pA_mWHkcgZfS6ggxaTZD0%2Fedit&ei=AZNpUouNBOzT4QTQloGQBw&usg=AFQjCNGErtS-QHe0s9wkdvLwU9twKc8R0w&bvm=bv.55123115,d.bGE&cad=rja

Hi jeanjacques,

Your link did not work for me, "page not found".

I looked around and found this, which may be what you are talking about:
   https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eEdfpfL9Jy9EX9_FvWuDv7pA_mWHkcgZfS6ggxaTZD0/edit

Supports 24/7 logging and viewing other data at the same time.

Enjoy

The Institute of HeartMath sells the FirstBeat BodyGuard for $395.00. Itā€™s a two-electrode system that can record up to twenty days of data, and the rechargeable battery holds a six day charge. Upload HRV data to a computer via a USB cable.

Specs: http://bit.ly/FirstBeat
Price List: http://bit.ly/FirstBeatPriceList

Institute of HeartMath research papers on Google Scholar: http://bit.ly/IHMResearch

Institute of HeartMath Web site: http://www.heartmath.org

Tom

If you are still interested in an Android app for HRV monitoring I finally found the time to port HRV logger:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ma.hrvlogger&hl=en

The app will let you record, plot and export time and frequency domain HRV features.

from the app description:

• extracts, plots, stores and exports time and frequency domain heart rate variability features (AVNN, SDNN, rMSSD, pNN50, LF, HF, LF/HF)
  • configurable time window for feature extraction (30 seconds to 5 minutes)
  • automatic RR-interval correction (configurable)
  • event annotation
  • data export/storage on SD card and Dropbox (csv format, exports heart rates, rr intervals, events and computed features)
  • records data even when the app is in the background
  • handles recordings longer than 10 hours

you can find out more here or contact me directly (the iphone version is pretty much the same): http://www.marcoaltini.com/2/post/2013/12/heart-rate-variability-logger-app-details.html

Android 4.3 and a Bluetooth 4.0 radio are required.

Does the app tracks and graph for HRV training and recovery like ithlete and sweetbeat ?

Also, just need confirmation that it will work with Nexus 7 2013 + Polar H7 ?

Do you have any information on how long will the Polar H7 battery will last on continuous monitoring ?

What would be great is the following:

Scheduling a recording from say 1 AM to 4 AM.

Am I able to see a smooth QRS complex with the Truesense device?

I have 2nd (sometimes 3rd degree) AV-Block (during the night mostly/ in rest) for which I have regular visits to the hospital. Somewhere in the future I need to opt for pacemaker, but not necessary at this moment.

So basically Iā€™m looking for a device that can record (8+ hours) ecg with the ability to see clear qrs complex afterwards

Yes, TrueSense Exploration Kit can pickup full QRS waveform when worn on chest bone vertically.
You may want to get Accessory Pack and use the Comforpore film for attaching electrodes securely for long duration ECG recording using Memory Module (MM).
cheers

Is there an easy way to filter out the missed beats as result of AV-Block? Got some data now, but really too much data coming from 1 night.

Maybe there is no other way then to scroll down 100+ pages to seek for missing rsā€¦

you can use OPI Console to convert recorded TrueSense data to _HR.txt file using View Converter function. then you can import the .txt file into Kubios program for graphical analysis, which will easily show outlier data points, and you can check against raw data to see if itā€™s due to muscle activity, poor contact, HR extraction bug, or REAL missed beat.
cheers

I would be curious what conclusions have you been able to make from monitoring HRV 24/7.
Was the effort worth it?

Another one here interested in 24/7 monitoring what have been your results after all this time?

Still looking into thisā€¦ Actually Iā€™m measuring my 24/7 HR and HRV via Fluxtream Capture with a Polar H7. In addition to that Iā€™m looking to get rid of the chest strap using soft gel electrodes so it doesnā€™t interfere with my breathing and to get a more comfortable fit.

But what I see is that thereā€™s no way to get health, stress or any kind of medical utility from all this information in a way that, for example, the Firstbeat Bodyguard 2 that @Marco_Altini recommended does.

However it happens that Bodyguard 2 is not exactly of my liking because of it being an offline gadget, thatā€™s not connected to the smartphone and this way I cannot see live information and I depend on having access to a PC instead of streaming or uploading it directly.

So what Iā€™m looking like is a way to get 24/7 HR and HRV information, via smartphone, with some health insights like, for example Polar Loop app or any of that kind does, and the ability to export all that information for more deeper research purposes.

So far, what I that majority of the products out in the market always fullfill everything except of one of this.

• Optical HRM wristbands like Fitbit and others are accurate for only HR but fail at excercising and HRV logging.
  • Cheststraps, while being accurate, suffer from the imposibility to store data before syncing and are affected by possible connections lost, phone battery and depends on an app. I thought it could be addressed using an wristband that stores the info before syncing but theyā€™re not meant to be logging 24hours straight. However, in a way or another, using Fluxstream capture I had been able to store some of the information but lack of the software to analise it.
  • Other, and more scientifical products address some of the above problems but suffer from the imposibility to see all this information online or in my mobile, theyā€™re stuck with old software and is difficult to move from one platform to another.

What Iā€™m trying to get is any sort Fitbit Charge HR system, with the possibility to get the information to an open platform and with the accuracy of a chest strap.

What do you guys think about all this, what have you discovered with all the experience, what else can you add to this matter? I want to hear you!

Iā€™m trying out Fluxtream Capture + a Polar H7 just now. Itā€™s a little uncomfortable - I donā€™t think Iā€™d like to wear it permanently, but Iā€™m going to give it a shot for a few days. The data at Fluxtream looks good. Iā€™m interested in comparing it with my Apple Watch to see if they agree with each other.

I noticed a product called qardiocore which looks pretty interesting: https://www.getqardio.com/qardiocore-wearable-ecg-ekg-monitor-iphone/. Itā€™s not cheap, but it sounds ideal and, they, claim, comfortable. Signed up for notifications for when theyā€™re shipping the next batch. Iā€™ll see if Iā€™m feeling rich when they do :slight_smile:

This seems like an old thread but when I googled for continuous monitoring this thread came up and make me join up.

So, what are the updated options today in 2017? - Inexpensive preferable. I use an iPhone.

Define ā€œinexpensiveā€ā€¦

Many wrist bands (like the Fitbit Alta HR, $150) now track HR 24/7.

If you need more accuracy (e.g. during exercise, or for HRV), a ā€œsmart shirtā€ (like the Hexoskin, $400) is a good option for capturing HR 24/7 (but still too awkward for 24/7/365).

1 Like

I was thinking something like a Mi Band :slight_smile: Somewhere in Amazon reviews it said a hack or an app allowed it to do so on Android. Not sure about iOS