Metriport - Track, visualize, and gain insights into your personal data

Hello Quantified Self community! :wave:

I’m Colin, a co-founder at Metriport, and we’re building what we hope to be the ultimate Quantified Self tool. We set out to create the most advanced, yet simple to use ‘Personal Data Dashboard’, which bridges our passions of mental and physical health, fitness, productivity, privacy, and data science together. We launched our app at the start of 2022, and have been pushing regular updates with new features ever since.

How does it work? Metriport lets you track and visualize your personal data, integrate with external data sources (such as wearables, weather, etc), and ultimately gain actionable insights into your wellbeing. We have unique features such as support for fully custom trackers (with configurable chart/data types, icons, colors, etc), and the ability to get correlation insights between any two metrics, for example. For our personal use cases, we built this to find out how things such as caffeine intake were affecting our energy levels and resting heart rate, or how migraines may be influenced by atmospheric pressure. This being said, the sky is the limit on what other things you may want to track and discover in Metriport!

We also store all data encrypted locally on the user’s device by default, as we ourselves are privacy freaks. We believe individuals have a right to own their own data, without having to worry if it’s being sold to third parties. This is especially important when it comes to mental and physical health data. You can import, export, and delete your data at any time.

We’re just getting started with Metriport, and we wanted to share it here as the Quantified Self community is exactly the type of community we had in mind for our app. Have any features you’d like to see us develop? Curious of what things you could use Metriport for? Let us know! We’re always looking for feedback to make our product the best it can possibly be. Please feel free to reach out to us on this forum, or connect with us in any of the following ways:

We ultimately see a personal data dashboard being something crucial to everyday life in the near future. As the smart device space expands and becomes more accessible, and health/wellbeing become increasingly important topics in society, we aim to make Metriport a household name for all personal tracking needs.

7 Likes

Hi.
I’d like to import from other apps besides apple health. It sees like too many hoops to jump through.
Thanks for your consideration.
Lonnie

1 Like

Hi Lonnie,

Thank you for the feedback! We’re actually actively working on integrations beyond Apple Health at the moment. Out of curiosity, which apps in particular were you looking to import from?

How advanced is your stats approach? Do you use ML like multiple linear regression?

Congrats on the launch! Metriport looks great, I’ve just sent Dima an email, we built something similar internally at Vital, and would love to share some of our learnings!

We are currently using linear regressions for our correlations feature, but we plan on expanding on our ML capabilities in the near future, with predictive analysis.

1 Like

Thank you Maitham. We just reached out to you, looking forward to discuss more with you!

Hi Colin,
I currently use My Fitness Pal, Fitbit, Map My Fitness and Exist.io.

I saw you gave up on the project, would be amazing if you could contribute to the community and make the project open source !

1 Like

It’s also sad to see that you’re not answering users on your own subreddit for months…

1 Like

Hi — I feel your pain. The continued posting on the QS site of “ultimate self-tracking dashboard” tools puts me as moderator in an awkward position. I like that people show up here with their tools, that’s really a good thing. But having seen literally dozens of these tools come and go I always think: “ok, here’s another one that will be launched and abandoned.” But at the same time, each one raises a little hope that this time I’ll be wrong.

Depending on what you’re looking for, you might investigate Zenobase. The founder/maintainer has been active in the QS community for many years, is on the forum, and it has been keeping it going for a long time. It’s a much simpler tool than many people have proposed, but it has the advantage of actually existing!

3 Likes

Lol! I admit I originally stumbled upon this community when I was still naively hoping that I was the first person with the “ultimate self-tracking dashboard” business idea. Then I quickly realized there are a ton of people trying to do this and that its a super hard task when I went through the forum and found things like zenobase, exist, and the slew of startups that didn’t make it out of the garage.
As a long time lurker, relatively new participant, I don’t know how much my opinion matters; however, I believe that many people abandon their dashboard projects because they don’t connect it with a strong goal or advertise a specific purpose for collecting data. Ex: managing diabetes, then building off of that and mastering some gym protocols and then building off that to run a 10k, then going for a PR, then using the data and things learned to teach others who are struggling with the basic issue of managing diabetes.
Sorry for the long winded post, but I believe at the end of the day, QS, our data and our research projects should lead to a deeper, more meaningful understanding of ourselves and genuine connections with others. A dashboard in itself can’t do this.

1 Like

To me this makes sense, though I’ve been working on the other side of the problem: how to ask good questions and decide what to track. This initial work is often neglected, so people just start tracking with whatever tools are popular or interesting at the moment, then end up with a lot of data that doesn’t mean much to them. Then they try to compensate with analytics (especially if they are technically skilled) — and still don’t learn much. When I ask them: What was your question, they say “I just wanted to see what I found.” It’s a pretty common failure mode.

The advertising a specific purpose fixes this, but only if it is based on having learned how to make those specific discoveries, probably for yourself, and then finding others who want to do the same thing. I’ve seen this in body building and other areas were there is strong coaching and peer-network in place. For complex health stuff, not so much.

2 Likes

I agree with you so much. And thanks for introducing Zenobase! It’s awesome.

1 Like