Simple and consistent digital bathroom scale without memory

I’m looking for a simple, no-frills, fast and accurate digital scale to weigh myself every morning. Not interested in body composition analysis attempts - we know they’re bogus.

The most reviewed scales on Amazon are Chinese copycats with crappy English, and often ridiculously invasive personal information demands, or subscription requirements.

I could use the WiThings and only care about the weight, but apparently it’s slow to finish measuring, and inconsistent, as reported by several users.

To me, precision (consistency) matters more than accuracy. Any scale recommendations that fit these criteria (and are still available for purchase)?

What I’ve researched so far:

I’ve used a Withings scale for 10 years and love it. The hardware has held up nicely over that time and the web interface / software makes steady improvements. I agree that the body composition has to be taken with a grain of salt though.

As part of your research you may want to factor in whether the company has a good developer API. In my opinion, that narrows it down to only three: Fitbit, Garmin, or Withings.

All three of those require creating an Oauth2 app if I’m not mistaken. However, Garmin’s API also requires webhooks, which is a little more advanced.

Shameless plug - I’m the founder of Habit Dash which allows you to create a unified dashboard of wearable devices. We have a simple API key which can also be used to access your data.

You can disable body composition measurements for Withings scales, and simple weight measurements are fast.

I was going to suggest looking at body weight scales sold to physicians, but https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1497726/ :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Most of these QS gadgets are bunk :slight_smile:

Every device has limits, so you need to know how much accuracy/precision you need–and what your budget is :grin:

I bought the Etekcity EB9380H, and its resolution is indeed somewhere between 0.5lbs and 1lb.

I’m fine with that, but less fine with Wirecutter making bogus claims about 0.1lbs accuracy and boosting that ordinary scale’s ranking on Amazon.

2022 update

The scale was useful to check that I was maintaining my weight while eating around 1700 calories per day and lifting 3x/week. Helped get in excellent (shredded) shape in spring 2021.

In 2022, I didn’t have a scale, but repeated the protocol of eating 1800 cal/day and lifting 3x a week. Since I knew my daily calorie needs, and that my body would undergo recomposition, a scale wasn’t necessary - as long as I did stick with calorie counting.