Tracking mental focus

I am consulting with a BCI start up called blueberry. I am wondering what people think about this space, why has it not been widely adopted and what brain data people are currently tracking.

My interest is in understanding how exercise impacts my brain.

If anyone is interested in collaborating and trying our the product please reach out. Would love feedback here.Thanks

Blueberry BCI

I’m interested. I’ve tracked some subtle things about my focus, including “return of attention” while meditating. I’m curious about what I could learn from eye tracking.

Thats great. Thanks Gary. What is the best way to get ion touch so we can send you a device?

I’m super interested in devices tracking new types of data, but I always want to know how the derived data is calculated and ideally you have some studies that show how accurate the derived data is and what it means. From your website it’s unclear to me how it’s tracking the different mental states that you’ve listed (eg. “focused”, “healthy”, “mindful”, “changing”, “relaxed”). Why should I care about how much time I spend in these states? How will knowing this information help me make improvements to my life?

With this device, the user defines the state themselves based on their own data and tracks it relative to that. i.e. “felt focused today at 10am” - then the app will categorize into that state when data is near that state. Its not a generalized model. Users control whether data is saved or not in the app.And the data is from relative blood flow change approximated measures such as estimated pulse rate and variation in signal.

You can check out a video explanation here [Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software | Loom](https://Blueberry Demo)

@Agaricus click here for a short demo video of blueberry in action, would be great to chat

here are a few ways it has helped positively affect my own life so far;

• understanding which activities bring more or less focus, and which I end up in more of a changing states of mind, awareness of state being primary method to improve
  • using real-time during conversations to know whether trend of thought is mindful or changing (using head-up feedback led as a cue)
  • using on walks to guide to more relaxing environments, or see how environments affect myself
  • learning how frustrated or strained get from relationships or situations can be

each of these have helped my life so far - let me know if you have other questions!

Im interested. I did a few tests with my own EEG devices trying to distinct some states and measure them, mostly focusing on sleep and meditation.
Right now im in state of setting my own PSG sleep lab with OpenBCI, Hypnodyne ZMax and Dreem 2 to measure some things and also can test your device if you want) For example, i can test hypothesis like “nights with hign sleep quality measured by EEG should improve my focus during day measured by fNIRS”.
As i understand fNIRs measures bloodflow changes in lobe area which for sure represents some brain activity changes.
But i cannot guarantee that i will use it for long time if it doesnt have noticeable effect size. Also it would be cool if raw data is available to make some analysis.

1 Like

Would love it if you can blueberry device to run alongside your tests.

What are some key factors that are important to you regarding “you wouldn’t use the device for a long time if it doesnt have a noticeable effect size?”

You can get the raw data from the device.

Let us know if you would like to collab.

I would like, full anwer at the end of my post

I’m not using devices just for fun, each device i use have specific purpose / function. I’ve used some devices but came that their data dont lead to any decisions and do not cause any objectively and subjectively measurable effects. For these cases i’ve stopped used them.

Thats good, but is it unprocessed raw sensor signals?

I would like, but before start i think you may help me to formulate what hypothetis i can test with this device, what will be measurable outcome etc. Maybe you have specific use cases for device with objective outcomes?

@Max_Eastwood appreciate the feedback. underlying raw data is in the works - right now there is a view of it in the app/users can export the computed data to csv within the app. I can share you an export of my data if you would like?

feel free to sign up on our website and we can ping when we are ready. hopefully we can find a problem & outcome for you to validate. I really like your post - Tracking - Mood | Quantified Self Experiments

I recently bought EEG earbuds by Emotiv (MN8 EEG Headset with Contour App: Brainwave Devkit). While I love the idea of quantifying my focus, I’m not really sure if the metrics align my subjective feelings. I’ve been using it only for two weeks, so maybe I’ll give it a few more shots.

What is your honest review of Emotiv?

IMO, while its wonderful to be in-tune with your subjective feelings, it’s really hard to know what our bodies and brains are trying to tell us. Wearables, I believe, changes this… Just a thought.

I honestly haven’t used Emotiv for long enough to make any judgement on the device yet, but sometimes it says I’m very focused when in truth I’m just taking a break. Another thing is that it still feels somewhat uncomfortable for me to wear it, so I usually end up switching to Airpods when I need to do some deep work.
IMHO, I don’t think it’s ready for personal use yet, but it might be interesting to run some experiments with it.

1 Like

So the blueberrys are glasses with what sensors?

@rain8dome9 right now we use near-infrared light with multiple sensing locations for measuring relative deep tissue absorption changes based on the pulsed light - hope this helps!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. What are you interested in tracking the most?

I am interested in better understanding which techniques I can practice to improve overall mental performance, whether it be drinking less coffee, meditation, exercise, ect.

Would anyone be interested in joining an accountability group for meditation? Stepped Meditation

1 Like

I’m a startup founder and very flexible with my schedule, so I’d love to know which task I should do at which time based on my focus and cognitive load

2 Likes