Zeo shutting down: export your data!

Thanks for the reply James. I have ordered the FTDI Cable 5V VCC-3.3V I/O, which is a FT232RQ based USB cable with a 6-pin connector and pinouts of: RTS, RX, TX, 5V, CTS, GND (RTS is the green cable and GND is black). VCCIO is set at 3.3V. This seems to be the one called out by other posts on this forum.

Do you thing that I will the TTL serial adapter instead, and if so, what was the model you got?

Thanks,
Bob

What are the extension techniques for the electrodes? Are we talking about the ZEO Elektrodes? If not, are there any ways to keep the conductivity / make them last longer?

See post 284 where pol098 says about disposable electrodes,

I’ve had total success using disposable ECG electrodes. Can be expensive using fresh electrodes every night, but I have outdated packs, and use electrodes from them for many months after opening, storing in humidors. I can get about 10 days from each set of electrodes (I haven’t tried to truly maximize the time, just replace them when I seem to be getting dropouts.) About 2 days with new electrodes, another 4 days with Hypafix tape (better than Micropore or Transpore as more conformable, also cheaper), and another 4-6 days smearing as little Tensive as possible on each electrode with a finger. Details (necessary) in post #161; this post updates a few details."

Bob

Thanks to Jay’s contribution, I’ve been able to solidify the analysis a little more.

Hello everyone,

are there any people here which got to work reading raw data via serial cable? Unfortunately the incoming data seems to have nothing to do with the documented protocol. Interestingly, I do not think that it is garbage data either as a certain pattern can easily be spotted – but see it for yourself in the attached sample I recorded. Correspondigly the library cannot parse anything of it, as a message does never start with the ‘A4’ string.

I already tried two different USB to Serial converters and even a native port (38400 Bd, no parity, one stop bit), but all give the same result. The firmware version is 2.6.3R; and reading data from the SD card with the Zeo Decoder Viewer seems to work perfectly. Do you have any idea what could be wrong?

Greetings,

Sephalon

zeo-raw-data.zip (487 Bytes)

There was quite a lot of information out there; I don’t know if it’s all still available. In particular, the Wayback Machine will find lots of stuff since removed. I may be telling you what you already know, in which case ignore this.

I haven’t done any of this myself, but a starting point might be
http://web.archive.org/web/20130515063514/http://developers.myzeo.com/raw-data-library/
where

Archived version of sourceforge page cited: http://web.archive.org/web/20120829160052/http://zeorawdata.sourceforge.net/

Also: ZeoScope is a biofeedback program using the Zeo. https://github.com/dancodru/ZeoScope

HTH

Hi there,

just wanted to ask once again if anyone of you guys who has backed up the ZEO Iphone app could send me a copy of it.
I know that the apps are supposed to be “personalized” to the Apple ID used to download it, nevertheless I would like to try if I can get it running on my phone.
I do have the Android app for my Zeo mobile and I also have a ZEO bedside unit (haven’t uploaded the new firmare, yet and installed the ZEO Viewer though - that’s still on my todo list) but as I am only using the Iphone these days it would really be handy if I could use the ZEO mobile with my Iphone.
So would anyone of you be willing to send me a copy of the app?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Daniel

Hey All,

I dont know if this is quite the right thread to be asking about this, but I had a question about the data output from the Zeo bedside. I’ve had one on long term loan from a friend, and have been using the Zeo Data Decoder to get everything into excel files so I can process things in a spreadsheet. Data for the base_hypnogram comes out as . (which I have been assuming means undefined), l (light), d (deep), r (REM), and w (wake). Any idea what L indicates? I’ve assumed its meant that the connection was lost, but I’m not entirely sure.

Also, has anyone tried making their own headband sensors? I tried based off the instructables directions (http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Replacement-Zeo-Sleep-Monitor-Headband-Sensor/), but it doesnt seem to be working. Going to have to check if I actually got good electrical connections through the fabric snaps.

Thanks!

Max

Max,
If you cross reference the text output to the xml output, you’ll see that L represents a “6”, other outputs are “0” (undefined), “1” (wake), “2” (REM), “3” (light) and “4” (deep).

From Zeo, “The score of “6” corresponds to a deeper stage of light sleep. As such, when Zeo makes a final decision (and the data is uploaded to the website) it may decide that this stage is light (3) or deep (4) sleep.” Unfortunately, the reference for this quote is no longer available, so I can’t give you a link.

Jay

Hi Sershe,

Just wondering if you found out anything about the battery in the Zeo Transmitters ?

Thanks,
Danny.e

Have you found a way to replace the battery?

I would really appreciate a copy of the Iphone app as well - If anyone can make it available…

Thanks,
Dannye

Hey I’m just popping in to say that I’m actively working on an android app to take data from the headband transmitter and sync to a website that graphically shows the sleep epoch data. I’m still working out the kinks, and also changing a bit about how the data is transferred and whatnot. But all the bits are there and soon it will be able to do more. However where it is at right now it is usable and better than just the abandoned app.(more epoch data to graph)

Sorry to necro. Also I’m a bit curious as to the electrode problem. So far what I’ve done is to wipe my head with alcohol and the pads that came with the headband work fine after 1+ year. The material they seem to be made of is conducting cloth, I wonder if one could source the same material and just DIY their own pads. It certainly seems like it.

@mlow
Sounds awesome! I can’t wait!

Hey thanks for the positive words. Right now the system relies heavily on a web server. Which runs php and mysql. I’d like to move some of the work to the app on the phone, so you can check out sleep data in detail in the app. That is proving hard though, say you have 2 years of sleep data, 4 nights a week, that data adds up and the phone seems to have trouble. I’d also like to move away from php and mysql.

Then there is the problem of whether or not to centralize this data(my web server) or figure out a way that anyone can just run an app on their pc and view the sleep data. Without needing internet access. Just plug the phone in, run the program on pc. If I do that I can only work on a window app. If I do a web server backend then any OS is supported, but your sleep data is stored on a server you don’t control. So it’s a tough nut. Like I said I have all the bits working. But fleshing this out into a system is the hard part.

Right now the phone app runs in tandem with the myzeo app for android. A service collects the sleep data as the myzeo app is running. The service then uploads the epoch data to the webserver, where it’s stored in a mysql database and you can go to this website and see all your data and select a specific sleep record to view in detail.

You have more programming background than I do. I do believe that your pc approach is a marketable product because there are many people out there with zeo mobile units that have no way to analyze their sleep data. I also have bedside units and have the ability to load that data on my pc. You are performing a valuable service to mankind. good luck.

New to the forum. I own a bedside unit that has been out of use for over a year. I have misplaced the SD card. Any suggestions on how to create compatible SD card files from scratch on a blank card?

Follow the zeo shutting down thread and use a card to create the new firmware on an sd card. This will load the firmware update and create a new card for you. Normally, you erase the existing card. The instructions are fairly easy. once you do this you can also download what you need to create a viewer for your computer. Mine works great on my windows pc. It looks a bit intimidating but it actually works well.

Lester, use any 2 or 4 GB SD card and, as Ron says above, follow these instructions to install the viewer and you’ll be good.

Your first step will be to put the new card in in the bedside unit to create the Zeo Folder on the card, then take it out and follow the instructions to install the new firmware and viewer. Even though it is a new card, it still must be erased after installing the new firmware as stated in the instructions. (The bedside unit will write encrypted data to the card anytime it placed in the bedside unit if the decryption firmware has not been installed).

After you have installed the new firmware, you will have to collect new data to be displayed by the viewer.
Jay

Just to let you know we have started a project to make Zeo compatible headbands. This project is called Zeoband and you can register you interest and receive updates by signing up to the mailing list at www.zeoband.com. The more people who show an interest the better as the minimum lot size will be 500 at a minimum requiring 167 orders, assuming 3 headbands per order.

As well as manufacturing the headbands we are looking into providing support for Zeo users. This could include things such as instructions and videos on using open source software to interpret zeo data and perhaps a web client, similar to the zeo site but open source.

1 Like